The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Recreation & Sports

Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
freedom
Seasoned Member

Drag boat races are over ? how can this be ???

How on earth does this happen? Do we have THAT many people moving into our area from Austin and California?

We need a few more details on just what went on, it would be a shame to let this event die off.

freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
How on earth does this happen? Do we have THAT many people moving into our area from Austin and California?

We need a few more details on just what went on, it would be a shame to let this event die off.

Hmm. How is a good question. The answer clearly lies in the hands of the ptb. The deal makers. The progressives. The movers and shakers. The board members, the advisory board, and even lucas oil promoters. Next thing to go will be the xmas lights, triathlon, and even howdy roo.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
kennedylaw
Law Guy

"Marble Falls/Lake LBJ Chamber of Commerce officials stated that they received a notice from the Lucas Oil Drag Boat Racing Series that it would be proposing some significant changes for the 2018 event. The chamber, which sponsors LakeFest, and Lucas Oil were unable to reach an agreement during negotiations regarding the proposed changes."

We have lived along Lakeshore Drive (the area of the city most affected by the boat races) for almost 20 years now. Yes, it was a slight irritant to have to drown out the sounds of the boats and find another route to go to and from our home one weekend each year. I never minded, because I knew that the 15,000 or so visitors had a positive effect on Marble Falls’ economy that extended well beyond the one week they were here.

I would like to know exactly what “significant changes” Lucas Oil proposed that made it a deal killer for the Chamber of Commerce. It is being treated like a state secret.

Last edited by kennedylaw; 02-26-2018 at 07:36 AM.
kennedylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
I'm also interested in hearing what "significant changes" they were not able to agree upon.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
Hacksaw
Seasoned Member

I'm would bet GREED is the root cause from Marble Falls Chamber had something to do with it.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Uncle4teenie

I'm not unhappy. The boat races held no interest for me. I didn't like the noise or the traffic.
Uncle4teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
freedom
Seasoned Member

There happens to be a few prominent people in town who do not care for the boat races and never have, they don’t care for the “type of people” it caters to. These few people hold a great deal of influence over the Chamber of Commerce.

Uncle, I don’t “like” the Walkway of lights, get rid of it. I don’t like the soap box derby, get rid of it. I don’t like howdy roo, get rid of it. I don’t like 4th July fireworks, get rid of it.

You see Uncle, it works both ways...
Old 02-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #8
Caretaker

Quote:
There happens to be a few prominent people in town who do not care for the boat races and never have, they don’t care for the “type of people” it caters to. These few people hold a great deal of influence over the Chamber of Commerce.

Uncle, I don’t “like” the Walkway of lights, get rid of it. I don’t like the soap box derby, get rid of it. I don’t like howdy roo, get rid of it. I don’t like 4th July fireworks, get rid of it.

You see Uncle, it works both ways...
You left off that dang triathlon event. Shut it down dear uncle they are scaring the fish.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle4teenie View Post
I'm not unhappy. The boat races held no interest for me. I didn't like the noise or the traffic.
Do you suppose anyone really cares whether they held any interest for you?
Who cares about YOU when all YOU care about is what you like?

Grow up. All of these activities bring people in to spend money with local merchants who hire people and the sales tax revenue helps keep your city property taxes down. At least in theory.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #10
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomos View Post

Grow up. All of these activities bring people in to spend money with local merchants who hire people and the sales tax revenue helps keep your city property taxes down. At least in theory.

I could care less about the boat races pulling out, as well. At best, it was a nuisance & at the worst, it was a nightmare with traffic.

I'm sure Marble Falls will survive quite well without them.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Reapp
Super Moderator

This ^^^
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Quote:

Whoa now. He can post his view and not be personally attacked. Keep it civil please.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #13
freedom
Seasoned Member

Doublehorn and Reapp, let me ask...so you do not care if the things I mentioned in my previous post were shut down and ceased to exist? Becouse as was stated, “I” do not like them.

I think I hear Austin calling your name.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #14
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Doublehorn and Reapp, let me ask...so you do not care if the things I mentioned in my previous post were shut down and ceased to exist? Becouse as was stated, “I” do not like them.

I think I hear Austin calling your name.
Look around you, don't you see that Austin is already here? SMH.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Uncle4teenie

Quote:

Nobody cares whether you care. Get real.
Uncle4teenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Belle
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
This ^^^
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what you are trying to say
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
From what I understand, the person who uses that symbol agrees for the most part with the person who posted the prior message.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #18
Reapp
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Just saying I agree with the sentiments posted. I've never been a fan of the races nor have I attended them in other than a work capacity. That said, I recognize that many other people enjoy the races and I hate that they are losing out on something they enjoy doing.

Just because I won't mind them not being here doesn't mean I don't enjoy the other events that are put on.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
Belle
Seasoned Member

I hope the business people and taxpayers will insist that the CofC disclose the proposal and explain their decision. MEMBERS , at least, have a right to know, as do taxpayers for that matter.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #20
Caretaker

I wonder if people will be this upset when the walk way of lights can't be displayed this year because of lakeside park reconstruction.