The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Charities & Non-Profits

Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Library Thrift Shop hours

It's tough enough for a lot of working people to swing by the Library Thrift Shop on Av J before they close at 5 pm. But it's the pits when, having arrived at 20 minutes before 5, the employees, or volunteers, as the case may be, are hurrying paying customers out the door at 5 minutes till. "You can always come back tomorrow."

Well, maybe you CAN'T come back tomorrow.

Guess the library has all the money it needs and the customer doesn't matter, eh?
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
grumpy
Seasoned Member

Since they are for the most part, volunteers, it does not seem fair to make them stay late. They have personal errands to run also.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

"Late"? Expecting them to stay open until their own posted closing time of 5:00 is unfairly expecting them to stay "late"?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
JWebb
Seasoned Member

If a customer comes into any retail establishment just a few minutes before closing time and just browses or has a specific item in mind to purchase that is fine. However, as a courtesy to the clerks (whether volunteer or paid) they should be in line to check out in time for the store to actually close at their stated closing time. To do otherwise is rude. A conversation with a manager or owner about the convenience/inconvenience of their hours would be in order.

Our daughter worked retail while she was in college and had a very tight schedule. Invariably someone would come into the store as they were closing up and keep them there another hour.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
tonigking
Seasoned Member

As an 8-5 working person for most of my 55 year work life, I often wondered why retailers would close their operation just as I and thousands of others were getting off work. Most finally got the message and adjusted their hours to accommodate the 8-5 people.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Thanks, Toni.

Arriving at 20 minutes before closing is not rushing in at the last minute. Pushing a paying customer out the door and locking it five minutes before official closing time is rude. That's all. There are other thrift shops that will be happy to take my money.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
countryboy
Seasoned Member

Hey There is Wallyworld. They stay open long hours and have alot of cheap items.
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigking View Post
As an 8-5 working person for most of my 55 year work life, I often wondered why retailers would close their operation just as I and thousands of others were getting off work. Most finally got the message and adjusted their hours to accommodate the 8-5 people.
When I was younger, I loved working graveyard. I would get off at about the time stores were opening, and could even go play golf on uncrowded courses. You can choose whether to be "awake" right after work and sleep before going back or vice versa. The only thing you couldn't do was go drinking with your buds and end up a little too happy at work.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
meimeilarry

volunteers, it does not seem fair to make them stay late. They have personal errands to run also.

cheap beats by dr dre
cartier love bracelets
meimeilarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
theroadog1

The Marble Falls Library Thrift Store has been one of my favorite places to shop for many years. As far as there hours I'm surprised they are open as long as they are, when you depend on volunteers asking them to work overtime may be over taxing there generosity just a bit. Have you thought of volunteering ?
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
theroadog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

If a business -- and the Library Thrift Shop IS a business -- posts hours for opening and closing, that's the equivalent of a promise. I think businesses should keep their promises. That's all.