The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Shootin' the Breeze

Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Reapp
Super Moderator

Exclamation What are your pet peeves?

I realized tonight that one of my pet peeves is people using doorknobs as if they were meant for hanging things...grrr. My wife and kids seem to think that's what they were made for.

Oh, and someone leaving their junk on my computer desk.

Reapp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Primadonna
Seasoned Member

Three things that drive me nuts:

Stores that put stickers on glass or photo frames that are impossible to peel off.

Hard plastic packaging that practically takes a chain-saw to open. I bought a flat-iron today and had to fight getting it out of the hard plastic.

Being short and having to climb up on a shelf in the grocery store to reach something.

(Reapp, I'm guilty of hanging things on door knobs)!
Primadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
Belle
Seasoned Member

My pet peeve is reading any material that is full of spelling/grammatical errors and the writer didn't bother to use spell check.

Last edited by Belle; 09-12-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Litterers - grrr!!!!
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
nosefornews
Super Moderator

People who vote straight party ticket (regardless of their party) rather than take the time to research and vote for the best candidate for each office and chocolate bars that melt in the bag before I can get them home
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
I realized tonight that one of my pet peeves is people using doorknobs as if they were meant for hanging things...grrr. My wife and kids seem to think that's what they were made for.

Oh, and someone leaving their junk on my computer desk.

Ok, when did you come by the house? The better half doesn't seem comfortable if there isn't something hanging on the doors.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
People who vote straight party ticket (regardless of their party) rather than take the time to research and vote for the best candidate for each office and chocolate bars that melt in the bag before I can get them home

nose you got that right. Those who vote Straight party and do not research the best candidate. Hey lets just pick it like a horse race or whos the most popular. Yeh thats the ticket.

I dont like melted chocolate either.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
People who drive in the left lane of 281 completely oblivious to the world while an emergency vehicle is behind them with lights and siren activated. There are MIRRORS on your vehicle for a reason!!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
People who drive in the left lane of 281 completely oblivious to the world while an emergency vehicle is behind them with lights and siren activated. There are MIRRORS on your vehicle for a reason!!

I don't drive an emergency vehicle. but I want to be able to proceed in the left lane when I choose. Have you considered a little nudge?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
1960traveler

People who can't be bothered to use their turn signals.
1960traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Tourists who slow down to 10 mph or come to a stop on 2147 right after they turn off 281, so they can admire the view of the lake...
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960traveler View Post
People who can't be bothered to use their turn signals.

None required here in town. Only a horn and a gas pedal.

Glad you found us over here.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #13
Ann101

Love the rain, but my beloved indoor/outdoor wet,mud wallering dog is seriously cramping my style!

Thank God for sirens on ambulances, police cars, etc!!!! There are times I'm beebopping along as though I own the road! I blame it on coming from the middle of nowhere to a place that actually needs a population sign but I'm learning!!!
Ann101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
pawpawbob

Easy open and resealable sandwich meat packaging, which is neither!
Espaecially if you have arthritis in your hands.

Last edited by pawpawbob; 09-12-2009 at 03:32 PM.
pawpawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
mayflowers

pawpawbob,you are so right. Easy open my foot!
And I don't have arthritis, it's just not easy open.
I usually end up taking a knife to it and place the left overs in a zip lock bag.
mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawbob View Post
YES!! The stuff that says "Tear Here", which you do, then still have to get a knife or scissors to open the package because the "Tear Here" strip is in the wrong place.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
AllyMay

People who park out in the left "passing only" lane and people who drive gray/beige cars and then don't turn their headlights on in the rain. These cars are the same color as the pavement and you CANNOT see them in the rain without their headlights on.
AllyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawbob View Post
Espaecially if you have arthritis in your hands.
Rest easy there, it's not the arthritis.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
kb5ykj
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosefornews View Post
Tourists who slow down to 10 mph or come to a stop on 2147 right after they turn off 281, so they can admire the view of the lake...

You used to be able to pull off 281 at the roadside park on the hill and admire the view but that is blocked now ! How much more will be lost ?
kb5ykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
hopeful200856

Pet Peeve

When you try to get help money wise, (house payment, utilities, car payment, etc.) for awhile since you lost your job and they tell you that your credit is bad, so they can't help you. Duh? I lost my job, remember me telling you? My mortgage co. and everybody tells me that I have no money, so therefore they can't help me. Duh? That's why I need help. Is this a backwards world or what?

Another pet peeve: Whenever you get call mtg. co., credit card co, etc. and you get someone from India or wherever that can barely speak english. Once again, what has happened to America? Hit one for english my foot. Everybody in the United States should speak english.
hopeful200856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
mayflowers

Lately,my pet peeve is receiving an email from a friend or family member and it's just "Fwd:junk mail."
When I see their name I look forward to news from them,then I realize they just clicked some button and forwarded junk mail my way.
I don't consider that "staying in touch".
mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
tonigking
Seasoned Member

I couldn't agree more about the fwd:"junk mail" !
It really ticks me off when I open it just in case there is a personal message and there are 500 names from previous fwds. when it is so easy to clean them up before forwarding.
I have notified all my friends, family, enemies and unknowns that I will delete on receipt,unopened if fwd is in the subject line....
End result ; now they clean them up and still send. No message, no how are you? etc.
I'm telling the world DON'T SEND THAT STUFF TO ME !, I have already seen it ten times.

Thanks for letting me vent !
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Pet peeves

How about "child proof" medicine bottles. Child proof, my foot. The only person who can't get in that bottle is the adult who needs to!
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Karenw66
DaYdReAm BeLiEvEr

Cell Phones

Folks that just don't understand cell phone etiquette ... Especially loud cell phone talkers, this one really gets me.

1. If you're in a meeting, gathering, or anywhere where there's a person speaking - please either silence your phone or at least learn where your "quiet" button is when it does ring. And PLEASE don't answer it unless you've left the area.

2. Please don't belittle waitstaff, a cashier, or customer service person by being on the phone and expecting them to wait on you and understand your sign language or exaggerated mouthing of your words. It's just plain rude. If you can't end the call, then excuse yourself from the call for a minute to complete your exchange -- and go back to the call. (And for those of you taking orders and relaying them to the waitstaff/cashier -- can you settle all of that BEFORE it's your turn? Really, write it down or have them text their order to you)

3. And who are these women that can't ever find their phone when it rings? We're subjected to listening to "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or the William Tell Overture while you're digging all thru your purse for the phone you just put back in there. Please folks, cell phone pockets are now in most every purse, backpack, and diaper bag.

I could go on, but that's probably my top three.

And to the loud cell phone talkers, I really don't care if that 1/2 million deal is "off the table if ..." or if you told off your boyfriend or better yet, your ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend ... Most of us are immune to cell phone conversation, you're supposed to just be background noise. It doesn't make you more popular than me because you're on the phone and I'm not -- so no need to "share" your conversation with me. Really, I don't feel left out.

Whew -- thanks for starting this thread ...
Karenw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
Editor
Mrs. Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenw66 View Post
Folks that just don't understand cell phone etiquette ... Especially loud cell phone talkers, this one really gets me.

And to the loud cell phone talkers, I really don't care if that 1/2 million deal is "off the table if ..." or if you told off your boyfriend or better yet, your ex-boyfriend's new girlfriend ... Most of us are immune to cell phone conversation, you're supposed to just be background noise. It doesn't make you more popular than me because you're on the phone and I'm not -- so no need to "share" your conversation with me. Really, I don't feel left out.
I once went up to a man for information. He told me "I love you". I was taken aback before he turned his head so I could see the headset he was talking into that you could only see from the one side.