The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > County Topics

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Afghan Hound Dad

Last edited by Afghan Hound Dad; 09-05-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Afghan Hound Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
I suggest going to the Central Appraisal District and pointing out the discrepancy before assuming foul play.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Afghan Hound Dad

IPeriod!

Last edited by Afghan Hound Dad; 09-05-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Reapp
Super Moderator

There are a lot of homes in that area with foundation issues, apparently the ground is horrible.
Reapp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Afghan Hound Dad

The

Last edited by Afghan Hound Dad; 09-05-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
There's an appeals process if you don't agree with your property valuation.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Afghan Hound Dad

D

Last edited by Afghan Hound Dad; 09-05-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
AllyMay

Afghan, you say you had your roof replaced. So why should your appraised value decrease? A house with foundation issues would not sell for as much as a house with a new roof. I guess I am not getting your comparison. So you feel that a house with foundation damage should be worth the same as a house without foundation damage?
AllyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

You bought the house and then you did a comparison on tax evaluation? I would think you shoulda done a search prior to your purchase. If you werent happy with the info then you raise questions.

btw, my step-Mom lives in that neighborhood and the soil does have a high shrink-swell....
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Afghan Hound Dad

AllyMay, You do not read well. I had my roof replaced, asap...I do not think I should get a discount. At All!!!But if I would not have fixed my roof, would it have lowered the value of my house, so my tax rate would be lower. I just believe in FAIR!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
workerbee

I understand what your saying. But don't keep thinking that insurance should fix that guy's foundation. Most insurance policies have gone to either no foundation coverage at all, or very limited foundation coverage.
workerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Caretaker

[QUOTE=Afghan Hound Dad;16420]I bought a home in the Northwood subdivision this year, it is a lot newer house than the ones in the neighborhood, at 2177 sq ft, and a tax value of $205,507. I was doing comparisons, and ran across one that stood out like a sore thumb. It is a newer constructed house, with 2251 sq. ft., and a tax value of 85,530, and was listed in 2010 at $178,744, and went down to $85,530 in 2011. What gives. The tax rate on that house is $1994.22, and I pay more than twice that. Do I smell a "brother in Law deal" or a big mistake.[/QUOTE]

When the tax appraiser is doing assessments the dont just go by the values of adjoining properties.. They use data from near by sales and quess what. Those sales could be be from properties several miles away.. If you take a real close look at many properties in this county you will find lots of inconsistencies. I,ve seen one that pays no school tax. Ive seen ag lands that dont qualify as ag.. I also was told by the taxing office that developers can get special values or rates because they have a portfolio of properties. Heck I have even seen homes that were classified as Mobiles even though they are site built. These are some of the reasons Property taxes are NOT fair and equal so dont be to surprised by your evaluation. Its not a Brother in law deal or mistake. It is just an inadequate system.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
JSKR
Seasoned Member

You cannot assume their insurance covers foundation. My insurance gives me the option of either covering foundation and I pay more on my insurance, or... they don't cover foundation damage and I would pay less.

Therefore, if they are not covered for foundation, perhaps they cannot afford to get it repaired.

Yes, damage can lower tax appraisal. I protested an evaluation one year explaining the roof damage I sustained during the hail storm as well as the upstairs porch in disrepair. It lowered the tax value of the home.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
You should hire a Property Tax Consultant. I use them and they have never not lowered my tax bill less than what they charge. If that sounded confusing, they pay for themselves and more.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
AllyMay

[QUOTE=Afghan Hound Dad;16433]AllyMay, You do not read well. I had my roof replaced, asap...I do not think I should get a discount. At All!!!But if I would not have fixed my roof, would it have lowered the value of my house, so my tax rate would be lower. I just believe in FAIR![/QUOTE]

Actually, I do read well, actually EXTREMELY WELL. You are the one who compared your roof replacement to total foundation repair, if that is not what you were doing, then why bring your roof up? But.....I'll go back to the old saying...."Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." Euripides

I'm out.
AllyMay is offline   Reply With Quote