The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Granite Shoals

Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
Caretaker

As I have seen and read the comments of many on this topic.. Folks keep talking about their property values and how they want them to go up..You can put in the system down every street and it still wont make your property increase in value.Dont get me wrong. Some will go up BUT not all.. There are many factors which determine a propertys worth..One of the biggest is LOCATION.Another big factor is whats NEXT door..Does anyone think that just because a sewage line goes down a street that is full of shanties that people will just start flocking there.NOT gonna happen..

Will or could it attract some buisnesses. Very good chance but dont count your chickens just too soon.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #27
trashlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
As I have seen and read the comments of many on this topic.. Folks keep talking about their property values and how they want them to go up..You can put in the system down every street and it still wont make your property increase in value.Dont get me wrong. Some will go up BUT not all.. There are many factors which determine a propertys worth..One of the biggest is LOCATION.Another big factor is whats NEXT door..Does anyone think that just because a sewage line goes down a street that is full of shanties that people will just start flocking there.NOT gonna happen..

Will or could it attract some buisnesses. Very good chance but dont count your chickens just too soon.
I believe that more important to me is not property value going up, but quality of life improving. I am so sick of fighting with septic problems and more importantly neighbors that do not care to even bother to fight with septic problems. Even the folks who do not voice their opinions loudly here or elsewhere have their own personal reasons to want quality of life to improve not stagnate.

Status Quo may be good for someone who can afford to maintain a septic system in the style that that system demands, but for others it is something that is low on a priority, way below food and shelter. An un-maintained system can be a bother to them and everyone within nose shot, not to mention the environment. I applaud those who have had the forethought to move forward - not backward.
trashlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #28
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashlady View Post
I believe that more important to me is not property value going up, but quality of life improving. I am so sick of fighting with septic problems and more importantly neighbors that do not care to even bother to fight with septic problems. Even the folks who do not voice their opinions loudly here or elsewhere have their own personal reasons to want quality of life to improve not stagnate.

Status Quo may be good for someone who can afford to maintain a septic system in the style that that system demands, but for others it is something that is low on a priority, way below food and shelter. An un-maintained system can be a bother to them and everyone within nose shot, not to mention the environment. I applaud those who have had the forethought to move forward - not backward.
You are right that an unmaintained system can be a bother to an area. But so can an unmaintained house. Both are usually due to folks not staying on top of those things or simply not giving a darn
Say for example; One street gets all connected to the system but never maintains the home. Did the quality of life improve or stagnate?Did it go forward and not backwards?

Also even if the sewage goes in and folks get all connected.Will they be responsibly minded users.What will they flush down those pipes?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #29
trashlady

So what I am hearing you say is ' there are some people who do not take care of their homes, or could flush unusual things down the commode, therefore none of us should have the luxury of a modern sewer system' Does that sound fair minded? I take care of my home and have lived with a septic system for many years (therefore, I am VERY cautious what goes in my commode) so I should be punished 'just because'.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashlady View Post
So what I am hearing you say is ' there are some people who do not take care of their homes, or could flush unusual things down the commode, therefore none of us should have the luxury of a modern sewer system' Does that sound fair minded? I take care of my home and have lived with a septic system for many years (therefore, I am VERY cautious what goes in my commode) so I should be punished 'just because'.

My post had nothing to do with anything being FAIR MINDED.Its a fact that some people will flush down Unusual things. Have you ever cleaned a Rental property or a home that was foreclosed on that had spiteful people leave in a hurry.. .I was simply pointing out that just because you put in a sewage system that it doesnt nessecarily make the Quality of life better for all.You could still have the possiblity of having a property right next door that stays a dump even if they get connected..
Its great that you are cautious with what goes into your system.And most likely you would still think that way when usuing the new sewage system when it goes in.
As far as thinking you would be Punished for not having the chance to connect to a new system.Think of it this way. If and I mean IF the bond gets voted down you can think the Democratic process..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #31
trashlady

Very true, Caretaker, and I am extremely thankful for the democratic process. (making that a small 'd' instead of a large 'D' ) When we can discuss any subject without interjecting any 'them' or 'us' into the discussion, then we are truly using the democratic process.
My opinion is that this sewer system is way past its time in Granite Shoals. If the leaders 10-20 years ago had not been so set on nothing changing perhaps GS would not be in the decline it went into. Turning things around is not easy but you have to start somewhere. Name calling and starting over with a new plan every 2 years gets the process nowhere.
On the other hand healthy debate tends to bring out interest that complacency does not. It can be a great thing if we do not allow it to degrade into the cat fights of the 1980s or 90s. I do not wish to see our city on TV shows like 'Current Affairs' where they make fun of the political bickering. I hope we have matured past that.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #32
ladybutton
Seasoned Member

Vote yes to the sewer system bonds. Give Granite Shoals the chance to enter the 21st century. Encourage businesses to come to Granite Shoals and pump into the GS city economy the tax dollars that otherwise go somewhere else. And remember, the city sits on top of a granite dome -- and granite doesn't absorb worth a darn. There's a limit to how much longer septic systems are going to be feasible in the GS area, and the day approaches when the LCRA is going to REQUIRE a sewage treatment plant with universal sewer hookups in the GS area. The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost.
ladybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #33
Frank_Reilly
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Frank_Reilly Send a message via Skype™ to Frank_Reilly
The River Cities Tribune has an editorial that supports the bonds for the sewer systemhttp://www.dailytrib.com/opinion/884...a-sewer-system. Their key points include:

"If Granite Shoals is ever going to grow economically, attract significant retail outlets and support a hospitality industry, the city will need a sewer system.

"Such a system also is better for the environment around Lake LBJ, considering that all homes and businesses in Granite Shoals currently rely on septic systems — which increase the risk for seepage.

"In the past few years, Granite Shoals has started to find an identity. Highland Lakes Elementary School provides an anchor for the community, and the city bought 131 acres where the new City Hall is located. The Andy Roddick Tennis Center is under construction, and a hike and bike trail named for local Olympian Leonel Manzano is in the works.

"But the hotels, restaurants and the retailers won’t come if the city only has septic. Right now there are about 2,000 septic systems in Granite Shoals, which is an inefficient and environmentally costly hazard for a city that wants to grow.

"Granite Shoals needs a sewer system to continue building on the recent improvements, to make sure the water in Lake LBJ stays clean and to keep from losing businesses to other progressive cities in the region.

"Granite Shoals, as the name implies, is built on granite gravel and granite bedrock among rolling hills, all of which contribute to potential seepage from septic tanks into Lake LBJ. That could cause algae blooms and pose significant health issues.

"If the city doesn’t do something now to curb this potential problem, a judge or federal agency eventually will step in and take action.

"Granite Shoals voters now have a chance to choose their own destiny without some bureaucratic agency telling them what to do.

"If Granite Shoals is to have a better financial future and become more than what it is today, a sewer system is a must."

I encourage you to read the entire editorial, but they also mention some of what the detractors say, such as that the proposed site may be on "property ... that belongs to a ranching operation." But they miss the point, which is that IF the city uses that site, that ranching operation will give the site to the city, and the city will own the site. No strings (the relationship between the city and the landowners does not change if the city takes title to the property and uses the site). But the Tribune also says that this issue, along with the other distracting points raised by some opponents "are details that can be worked out later once the people decide [that a sewer system] is what they want."

In case you've not noticed, EVERY candidate for mayor and city council says GS needs a sewer system -- even the chief opponent who is funding and organizing the opposition says he's for a sewer system. The only thing they can say is that they don't like the plant location, or perhaps the city's plan to pay for the system. Those are, as the River Cities Tribune says, issues that can be worked out in the future with additional public input, but the first step is for the bonds to pass so that the city has the funding to do the design and due diligence, then the rest of the bond funds can be used for the system's first phase according to that design.

Yes, the city has a plan that it has put forward after studying the alternatives for over 5 years, and I believe that plan is the most efficient, most sustainable and has the least financial impact upon the city and its residents than any other we looked at or that has been proposed from the outside. And that's the plan which the city will start with, but the city's engineers, staff, council and the public will have the chance to suggest differing alternatives, and as Dwight Eisenhower famously said, "planning is everything, but plans are nothing." This means that one should always be reviewing and reassessing the plans as a process moves forward. That is what a responsible city government will do, and also one that does listen to its citizens.

Dont' forget to vote on Saturday May 14, and vote FOR the sewer bonds.

Last edited by Frank_Reilly; 05-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Frank_Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #34
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Highlander is my Hero!

Wow, thanks to Roy Bode and staff at the Highlander for doing their homework and endorsing the WW Treatment Plant in Granite Shoals.
I admire your courage and your excellent copy. I hope everyone will read their editorials and vote . . . YES,YES,YES.

PS Thanks, River City Tribune for your endorsement also !

Don't let the naysayers control our future.
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
JSKR
Seasoned Member

""If Granite Shoals is ever going to grow economically, attract significant retail outlets and support a hospitality industry, the city will need a sewer system."

My gripe for one, all along and still is this... I moved out here for the serenity and peacefulness of the town. WHY is it so necessary for you to have a grocery store right outside your front door when all you have to do is drive 6 miles up the road to HEB?! Good grief have we become a society of such laziness that we must insist on having our "needs" a block away from us so we don't have to "drive in to town"??

I moved here to GET AWAY from the retail outlets etc. that larger cities have!!!

Sure throw the "progress" line at me, but frankly if anyone needs to have this stuff there are SO many cities to move to where you have it right outside your door. It's just not necessary to have it here. Why do you insist on trying to bring the big city here???!

When I moved here I did so knowing there was no commerce, that I would have to drive a whole 10 minutes (wow, don't know how I do it) in to town to get something. I knew there were unpaved streets and other very small inconveniences. But I did so also knowing the beauty of this tiny place and the whole reason I moved here is just that, to GET AWAY FROM THE COMMERCE and other mess the big cities have.

If you are talking taxes, again, I say the more commerce, houses, people etc. you have here, the more law enforcement, street maintenance and other expenses you have to pay for so how does it pay to have commerce here?

You have people complaining about traffic and noise etc. on holidays around here. Good grief wait till you have commerce here! Do you think traffic and noise is going to be less?

My 2 cents.
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
SPARKY

I also drive the 6 miles to town plus 3 miles to get to 1431,that makes 9 miles to HEB. . Then I go to Home Depot & Wallmart..After all that I have to come back home which adds up to over 25 miles round trip or around $4.00 + in gas.. Would like to spend as much in Granite Shoals if I could..

Last edited by SPARKY; 05-13-2011 at 07:51 PM.
SPARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #37
Belle
Seasoned Member

I'm with you Sparky, I don't want to go to MF everytime I want to take the kids for a burger or ice cream or an after school treat. I also don't want my kids to be in middle school in MF. Sure they could ride the bus but they can't ride the bus for school activities. I sometime go to MF and back 3 times in one day just for school stuff.
We need that sewer system.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #38
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I'm with you Sparky, I don't want to go to MF everytime I want to take the kids for a burger or ice cream or an after school treat. I also don't want my kids to be in middle school in MF. Sure they could ride the bus but they can't ride the bus for school activities. I sometime go to MF and back 3 times in one day just for school stuff.
We need that sewer system.

So you think by having the system that some how magically the MFISD will put in a Middle school in GS?. Your kids will be out of college well before that ever happens.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #39
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY View Post
I also drive the 6 miles to town plus 3 miles to get to 1431,that makes 9 miles to HEB. . Then I go to Home Depot & Wallmart..After all that I have to come back home which adds up to over 25 miles round trip or around $4.00 + in gas.. Would like to spend as much in Granite Shoals if I could..

Are you closer to the HEB in Kingsland?. Do you think HD or walmart have any plans to move to GS?. Could you possibly Limit how many times you drive to these places to save on Gas money?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #40
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigking View Post
Wow, thanks to Roy Bode and staff at the Highlander for doing their homework and endorsing the WW Treatment Plant in Granite Shoals.
I admire your courage and your excellent copy. I hope everyone will read their editorials and vote . . . YES,YES,YES.

PS Thanks, River City Tribune for your endorsement also !

Don't let the naysayers control our future.
I read both papers and All their OP pieces.They are still JUST that Opinions..UNLESS they actually LIVE or vote in your election.Why should their OP matter.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #41
SPARKY

You miss the point,I want as many DOLLERS to stay in Granite Shoals as possible!!Why should I make any trip to some where else if I don't have to? Kingsland is the same distance for me..I beleve that if we build sewer system, business will come..I guess we will never know!!

Last edited by SPARKY; 05-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #42
Caretaker

Man That was Sooooooo Close..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
Belle
Seasoned Member

Arrow

A very sad day for the good people of Granite Shoals.

They got robbed by a handful of selfish , self serving people who apparently have more money than sense, no scruples and no children with no place to play organized sports and that have to be bussed to MF.

At least the honest dedicated leadership will continue ,but with no new sources of revenue you can count on your taxes going up just to continue to have basic administration, fire, police and EMS.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #44
SPARKY

Well said Belle..To bad they didn't know it would hurt ,before they shot themselves in the foot.They were lead by the Pipper!!

Last edited by SPARKY; 05-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Tags
frank reilly , granite shoals , sewer