The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Public Safety

Old 09-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
JudgeGil

Exclamation Ham radio license course

The Highland Lakes Amateur Radio Club (HLARC) is putting on another of its famous "Ham Slam" courses beginning on Friday, Oct 24 and finishing on Sunday with testing by volunteer examiners. Walk in Friday night and walk out Sunday afternoon with a Technician License.

I have manuals at my office at 1307 2nd St., Suite D, Marble Falls. It is recommended that you get a manual in advance and spend some time with it, and also to go on the FCC site and get your FRN number, see here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do. That is needed for the exam and having it precludes putting your social security number out there.

The following additional details are from an announcement letter from HLARC Pres. Jim McCrocklin:

The Highland Lakes Amateur Radio Club will be putting on a 3 day Ham Slam class geared to assist you in obtaining a Levell or Technician Ham Radio Operator's License. The course will be held October 24,25, and 26, 2014 at the Herman Brown Free Library building on the north side of the square in Burnet, TX. This will be in the meeting room with entry off of Main Street and will begin Friday, October 24 around 6:30 pm, all day Saturday October 25, and half day on Sunday October 26 with test being given on Sunday around 1:00 pm.

There is no cost for the course but we will be using the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd Edition which can be purchased from local book stores for approximately $30, some libraries may have them available. Gil Jones has manuals at his office for pickup. The club is asking for a donation if you wish a manual -- call Gil at 830-201-0050 to arrange to get one. If you purchase a book make sure it is the 3rd edition which was published in 2014.

The test cost is $15.00 which is the processing fee for testing materials and processing by the FCC. The club does not keep any of the funds from the test. The course is also open to First Responders, Red Cross and anyone with an interest in Amateur Radio. You will need to register by contacting me with your name, email address and phone numbers. This is a great hobby combined with community service so come join us!

If you need more information or would like to confirm your attendance please contact (Jim) at (512) 663-9681.
JudgeGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
JudgeGil

There is still time to get into this course. You will need the license study manual which I have at my office: 830-201-0050. Walk in Friday night, walk out Sunday afternoon with a Technician license. It's a big world out there. Amateur "ham" radio is a hobby that can be enjoyed casually or dive in with both feet.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
This course is a really fun, informative weekend adventure into HAM radio. I had been trying to do this for about the last 5 or so years and finally got the timing right. I highly recommend this for anybody interested.
Many thanks to the volunteers of the Highland Lakes group that puts this thing on.

Chip
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
JudgeGil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
This course is a really fun, informative weekend adventure into HAM radio. I had been trying to do this for about the last 5 or so years and finally got the timing right. I highly recommend this for anybody interested.
Many thanks to the volunteers of the Highland Lakes group that puts this thing on.

Chip
What Chip did not tell you is that he and 11 others out of the 14 passed and in about 3 days should be able to see their call signs in the Federal Universal License database.

It was a good group and the local ham community looks forward to welcoming them into this fascinating hobby.

Tags
amateur radio , disaster communications , ham radio , hobby