The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Public Safety

Old 04-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #1
freedom
Seasoned Member

bicycling on 1431, Marble Falls to Kingsland...are people that crazy?

Help me understand, is it the mindset that "because I can, I am?" These bike riders put everyone at risk, not just themselves. There are plenty of places to ride without endangering the motoring public.
If I have to swerve out of my lane to avoid a bike rider and cause an accident, who's fault is it??? I care very little about a rider who feels he must show every motorist out there that he has some kind of God given right to ride these roads with no shoulders what so ever.
As this area grows mark my words, the biker mentality that has permeated Austin is moving out way...

...just so you bikeheads don't feel like your being targeted by a non biker, I have been riding for 30 years. I presently own 4 bikes, ranging from $350 to $1000 a piece so you see, my perspective is not one sided.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Totally agree! Maybe we came across the same bicyclist just a couple of days back on 1431? There he was a few feet inside the lane - which meant no vehicle could pass without changing lanes. However, the bigger problem was the fact this particular biker was on a blind curve & it was about 8am during our 'rush hour'.
I kept checking my rear view as I passed him just in case I saw a bad scene.....

No news was good news......

But this stuff is only gonna get worse. Austinosis is spreading and we're in line to catch it.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
Reapp
Super Moderator

Legally speaking they have the same rights to the roads that motor vehicles do, but they also have to follow many of the same rules of the road.

It would depend on the situation, but lets say you swerved of your lane because you didn't see a cyclist in front of you and you subsequently struck a vehicle in the next lane to you. You would be at fault for an unsafe lane change in that scenario.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
Start issuing tickets for imprudent speed, and maybe save a bicyclist life. They are easily as dangerous on these small country roads ad speeders.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

From the TXDOT website:

Generally, bikes are entitled to all rights and obligated to all duties of the road that apply to a motor vehicle. Tex. Transp. Code § 551.101, see also Tex. Transp. Code, Title 7, Subtitle C. Rules of the Road, Chapters 541 - 600.

Unless a specific statutory right or duty is altered by Tex. Transp. Code Chapter 551, or a right or duty applicable to a driver cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle, the same laws that apply to an operator of motor vehicle apply to a person operating a bicycle.

A person operating a bicycle, if moving slower than traffic, shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway. Tex. Transp. Code § 551.103. By definition, roadway does not include the shoulder of the roadway. Tex. Transp. Code § 541.302.

We won't be writing tickets for speed to a cyclist because they are not obligated to maintaining the speed limit, just moving to the right side of the lane if they are slower than traffic.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Belle
Seasoned Member

I travel weekly on 1431, early am, to Cedar Park Regional and encounter both types of bikers ( Motor and non) both of which seen to want the middle or all of the road coming from Austin. I have had so many "close calls" it scares me to death. Between them and the ever increasing big rigs it is rapidly becoming a death trap. I know I could go around but I shouldn't have to, increasing my travel time and expense by quite a lot. I have never once seen Law enforcement on the road until I get to Cedar Park.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
KINGCHIP
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to KINGCHIP Send a message via AIM to KINGCHIP Send a message via MSN to KINGCHIP Send a message via Yahoo to KINGCHIP
No, I don't expect to see any tickets for imprudent speed, ever. Unfortunately bicycles have no place on 1431 where there is no shoulder. We've all driven it, and know of the blind curves and contour. Who can not visualize coming up over a hill and find a bicyclist at a crawl in the middle of the road. At least the local cyclist I've seen seem to show some courtesy, unlike the entitled Austin cyclist. It's just basic safety and common sense, that does not seem so common any longer.
KINGCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote