The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Hobbies

Old 11-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
JudgeGil

Ham Radio License Class Nov 13

The Highland Lakes Amateur Radio Club (HLARC) is putting on another of its famous "Ham Slam" courses beginning on Friday, Nov 13 and finishing on Sunday with testing by volunteer examiners. Walk in Friday night and walk out Sunday afternoon with a Technician License.

No morse code required!

I have manuals at my office at 1307 2nd St., Suite D, Marble Falls. It is recommended that you get a manual in advance and spend some time with it, and also to go on the FCC site and get your FRN number, see here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do That is needed for the exam and having it precludes putting your social security number out there.

Additional details:
The 3 day Ham Slam class is geared to assist you in obtaining a Level l or Technician Ham Radio Operator's License. The course will be held Nov 13-15 at the Marble Falls Volunteer Fire Department at 606 Ave. U in Marble Falls. We will begin Friday, Nov 13 at 6:30 pm, all day Saturday Nov 14 and half day on Sunday Nov 15 with test being given on Sunday around 1:00 pm.

There is no cost for the course but we will be using the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual, 3rd Edition which can be purchased from local book stores, Amazon, etc. for approximately $30, some libraries may have them available. The club is asking for a donation if you wish a manual -- call me at 830-201-0050 to arrange to get one. If you purchase a book make sure it is the 3rd edition which was published in 2014.

The test cost is $15.00 which is the processing fee for testing materials and processing by the FCC. The club does not keep any of the funds from the test. The course is also open to First Responders, Red Cross and anyone with an interest in Amateur Radio. This is a great hobby combined with community service so come join us!

Upgrades from Tech to General:
The Club is also have a special session to help Technician license holders upgrade to General. You will attend the Tech session on electronics on Saturday and then relocate to the EMS training room for special assistance with General Class-specific mentoring.

More details will be available at www.hlarc.org.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
JudgeGil

The class is filling. I should have the books in today or tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
JudgeGil

The manuals are in. Call me at 830-201-0050 to arrange to get one.

Tags
amateur radio , ham radio