The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > The Lounge > Official Polls

View Poll Results: Should we keep the politics section on the forum?
Yes, I love it! 48 56.47%
I guess so. 12 14.12%
I don't know. 3 3.53%
Probably not. 7 8.24%
No, I'm sick of reading all the garbage. 15 17.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Immune
Seasoned Member

Set some specific rules for that section and if they are broken, ban them from that particular section.
Its that or just put a disclaimer on it and let it run unmoderated.
Immune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #27
Milly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor View Post
Should TheHighlandLakes.com continue to have a politics section in the forum?
Mrs. Webmaster I think you are wonderful to put up withj all the stuff that goes on and reall be fair avout it......
Milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
JudgeGil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcitizen View Post
Keep the politics section only if the those posting have to use their real name. It is to easy to bash someone when you can hide behind a pseudonym. This is a way for small minded people, who don't know the facts and are to lazy to find the facts, to bash other people. Change it or Scrap it!!
And, as YOU express and opinion about expressing opinions, what is YOUR name? Eh? Inquiring minds want to know....

Lively debate helped to define and found this country. Some of the most profound political opinion writing ever penned was done under pseudonyms: The Federalist Papers. The 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence had rancorous debates among themselves.

Another comment made the essential point: debate the ISSUE and don't attack the PERSON. It is through the give and take of discussion that we learn, expand our horizons, and sometimes either moderate our positions and even change views. That's healthy.

For the record, my name is
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #29
Belle
Seasoned Member

For the record, would someone please explain to me the value of:
"I guess so", "I don't know" and "Probably not", when responding to an obvious yes or no poll.
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #30
JSKR
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
For the record, would someone please explain to me the value of:
"I guess so", "I don't know" and "Probably not", when responding to an obvious yes or no poll.
What difference does it make? The originator of the poll was obviously trying to lighten up things, a bit of humor...
JSKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #31
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKR View Post
What difference does it make? The originator of the poll was obviously trying to lighten up things, a bit of humor...
Humor? We don't need no stinking humor in politics!
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
GScitizen

Location: Sherwood Shores area, Granite Shoals, Tx and proud of it
[QUOTE=JudgeGil;6999]And, as YOU express and opinion about expressing opinions, what is YOUR name? Eh? Inquiring minds want to know....

Lively debate helped to define and found this country. Some of the most profound political opinion writing ever penned was done under pseudonyms: The Federalist Papers. The 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence had rancorous debates among themselves.

Another comment made the essential point: debate the ISSUE and don't attack the PERSON. It is through the give and take of discussion that we learn, expand our horizons, and sometimes either moderate our positions and even change views. That's healthy.

I agree with this 100%
GScitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #33
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

yes, most defintely!
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
Caretaker

Yes . Lively discussions never hurt know one and ideas broaden the mind.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #35
GScitizen

Location: Sherwood Shores area, Granite Shoals, Tx and proud of it
Lively discussions are healthy so long as they are to issues and not for personal assaults on specific individuals. I think that elected officials are generally fair game as to their positions though. After all, dissension is the fabric that helped create this Country. In the same vein of ideas and thought, I would also think that if one disagrees with a policy or direction, they should also have a resolution or a idea to fix the problem they raise.
GScitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #36
curious
Seasoned Member

Yes, but keep on topic and CIVIL.
curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #37
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
We've tried to have a politics section on the forum. It always degenerates into insults and name calling. So we did away with it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #38
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
We've tried to have a politics section on the forum. It always degenerates into insults and name calling. So we did away with it.
I enjoy reading the politics forums and get a chuckle from the positions taken based on incomplete, incorrect, or bad information or just plain ignorance.

Therefore, I am in favor of having a politics section in the forums with these rules and conditions:
  • Rule #1 is the politics forums are not moderated.
  • Rule #2 is any one who is offended by what they read in the politics forums, should avoid reading the politics forums.
  • Rule #3 is the politics forums are not constitutionally protected free speech. However, slander and liable laws may apply.
  • Rule #4 is complaints to the Webmaster, Webmistress, or a Moderator are not required to receive an answer, response, or action.
  • Rule #5 is if a Webmaster, Webmistress, or a Moderator is offended by a politics forum posting or a complaint from a user, then they may take whatever action they deem appropriate.
  • Rule #6 is the decisions and actions of the Webmaster, Webmistress, and Moderator(s) are final, without warning, without appeal, and can include:
    • Deleting a posting.
    • Closing a thread.
    • Deleting a thread.
    • Suspending or deleting the account of a forum user.
  • Rule #6 is the Webmaster and Webmistress have unrestrained decision authority with regards to all forums on thehighlandlakes.com.
  • Rule #7 the politics forums is a rough place with really only one rule: "If things get out of hand, the sheriff may shoot someone to maintain order and to serve as an object lesson for others."
There are probably some rules I overlooked and should be added.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchkemper View Post
I enjoy reading the politics forums and get a chuckle from the positions taken based on incomplete, incorrect, or bad information or just plain ignorance........................

Butch

I like the proposals put forward by Butch and I agree!
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #40
carvet44
Seasoned Member

Since I have moved out of the area, I only occasionally "lurk" at this site. I know some of you may remember me. I was liberal than, as I still am. I really didn't attack anyone for their political beliefs - I strongly think that political discourse is necessary in a democracy. However, I seemed to run afoul of the moderators on more than one occasion and I will continue to think it was because they disagreed with me personally in my beliefs and appeared rather thin skinned on the matters. i only really "lurk" because opposing views are obviously not wanted.
carvet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 AM   #41
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvet44 View Post
Since I have moved out of the area, I only occasionally "lurk" at this site. I know some of you may remember me. I was liberal than, as I still am. I really didn't attack anyone for their political beliefs - I strongly think that political discourse is necessary in a democracy. However, I seemed to run afoul of the moderators on more than one occasion and I will continue to think it was because they disagreed with me personally in my beliefs and appeared rather thin skinned on the matters. i only really "lurk" because opposing views are obviously not wanted.
You keep rehashing this old complaint of yours and we have repeatedly asked for you to provide specific examples of where you were censored for your opinions. You are either unable or unwilling to do so. You ran afoul of the moderators because you were a jerk to other members, not because of your opinions or view points. It's really that simple. Now, since you're no longer in the area and only come here to complain, I would be happy to disable your account if you wish.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #42
striplic

Smile Politics? Yes or No?

Why not... Yes! We are closing in on the election of the next President with lots and lots of down ballot choices. This area doesn't really have another place with forums so we can exchange views and ideas. It may be (probably will be)trouble to monitor what gets posted, but I, for one, would enjoy hearing what others think.
striplic is offline   Reply With Quote