The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Meadowlakes

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
louisa

I would like to ask Bubbasgeek, why in heaven's name have you chosen to live in Meadowlakes for 11 years if you hate it so bad? Why not move back to Marble Falls and pay the taxes you seem to want to pay.
And to Mr. Lucksinger, how do you sleep at night knowing your title company has profited over the years from sales in Meadowlakes to people that purchased homes because of the gate.
There seems to be some kind of agenda here, what is it?
louisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
BubbasGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
I would like to ask Bubbasgeek, why in heaven's name have you chosen to live in Meadowlakes for 11 years if you hate it so bad?
I didn't say I hate Meadowlakes, I just said that the fact it is a city is ridiculous.
BubbasGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #28
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Maybe the real question is this: can an incorporated city be private property? (Gated communities, condos, and apartments, in my opinion, are private property, and therefore can restrict access.) If so, how does anyone gain the right to issue tickets on that private property?

My heart tells me that the property owners should have the right to decide if access is restricted, but my head tells me that the Constitution shouldn't be ignored.

People need to be able to feel safe in their own homes - even if it's a false sense of security. Maybe this challenge will answer the Constitutionality questions, and then changes can be made accordingly.

I don't see Lucksinger as a bad guy in this case.

BubbasGeek, maybe you should start a petition to disincorporate. I think you'd have to have so many signatures calling for an election, then it could be put to a vote.

Last edited by Peaches; 01-26-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Maybe the real question is this: can an incorporated city be private property? (Gated communities, condos, and apartments, in my opinion, are private property, and therefore can restrict access.) If so, how does anyone gain the right to issue tickets on that private property?
That's exactly what I was wondering...if it's a city in the United States, how is it able to restrict access? We can travel from city to city without permission, except for Meadowlakes? I can drive into Llano but not Meadowlakes?

I can understand them not letting me play golf (which I don't anyhow...) but to stop me from even entering or requiring me to state my business is just a little strange to me....

So exactly what are the citizens of Meadowlakes hiding? Why are they so afraid of everyone else? Hmmm, the plot thickens....
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #30
luxgolfer

What we're hiding, "nosefornews" is that Meadowlakes is a great place to live and raise our children. It's not the Garden of Eden...but it's nice to live in a relatively secure place, where if we accidently leave our garage door open at night, we're still pretty much assured that we'll wake up the next morning with nothing missing or without having been raped and robbed.

Sure, it costs a little bit more $$$ to live here, but the cost is very much worth it. Our streets are in good repair; our water/electrical/sewer systems are sound. We pay our school taxes; we spend a large percentage of our $$$ in Marble Falls.

A great number of us are retired; we've made our lot in life and now we're enjoying what time we have left on earth enjoying ourselves in one of the most beautiful parts of Texas. We're law abiding, even the republicans who account for most of our population.

Part of my enjoyment comes from reading snippets like those you post. You call yourself "nosefornews" when you're really not much more that a snoop who seems to get your kicks by casting innuendoes and insuations in much of what you write.

The bottom line is: Meadowlakes exists and functions clearly within the limits of Texas law. The attorney who violated our property by illegally entering Meadowlakes was in the wrong.

As for who cited him, has anyone out there ever heard of "citizen's arrest?"

Keep your sinuses clear, "nosefornews;" there may be more sinister goings-on out there that you need to look into.
luxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxgolfer View Post
Part of my enjoyment comes from reading snippets like those you post. You call yourself "nosefornews" when you're really not much more that a snoop who seems to get your kicks by casting innuendoes and insuations in much of what you write.
To bad you didn't appreciate the humor... didn't mean to make you cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxgolfer View Post
Keep your sinuses clear, "nosefornews;" there may be more sinister goings-on out there that you need to look into.
And fear not citizen, my sinuses are clear and ready for action......
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #32
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Ayone can play golf at Meadowlakes. It is a semi-private course open to the public.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #33
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

Summed up nicely

Luxgolfer seems to have summed up the "why live in Meadowlakes" question very nicely. I too live in Mlakes, not retired yet but headed that way, and we like what we have here and have nothing to hide. By the same token, we don't owe anyone any explanations. We made the fully informed decisions to buy here, and the the whys and wherefores aren't anyones business. We knew about the gate, knew that folks coming to see us would have to stop and state their destination, and that is what you are asked. As to the folks that rent and don't like the gate, rent elsewhere, if you can find something that nice elsewhere. I understand that other lawyers have tried the same antics in the past. I will not name and add notoriety to the issue. I believe that folks who try these "publicity issues" are only trying for headlines. Makes me wonder what office the fellow will be running for. He has gotten a lot of free, abet, not all good publicity. If everyone quit adding fuel to his fire, do you think he might go away?

We can only hope.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #34
Reapp
Super Moderator

I really don't think the issue will survive a legal challenge, and I'd be interested in seeing how it pans out.
Reapp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #35
Sabrered

I believe the main consideration in buying and owning in Meadowlakes is that the property values are protected by the Home Owners Association. There is an in-house code enforcer to insure the covenants of the city is adhered to. As in every city, there are pluses and minuses as to why citizens live where they do. Nose, please come out and visit us anytime, but also please comply with the regulations as posted.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #36
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

The first question then it seems, remains unanswered. While no one seems to disagree that restricted access is not a valid idea (if you live there), the issue is whether a city can restrict, question or otherwise qualify another person - at their choosing - who tries to enter into it. While the comparison to a private apartment complex is also valid, has it yet been determined that the city of Meadowlakes, is in fact privately owned? You gave up no rights to landowner privacy rights when you applied and incorporated as a Texas city? No outside state or county tax dollars at work there....at all? Anyone?

The second question that does not appeared to have been addressed is the lawful detainment of a trespasser (if in fact that is proven). While the Texas statutes are clear (and upheld) that it is unlawful for a property owner to detain a person who is suspected of trespassing, what gives a property owners agent (gate guard or compliance officer) that right? You can post a no trespassing sign in conspicous places but you cannot enforce it yourself (set aside criminal activity). The "citizens arrest" commentor should also be reminded of the tremendous amount of liability that comes with the act. You better be right, because you probably cannot afford being wrong. Are you sure that you want to absorb that risk over a potential misdemeanor prosecution that ranks right up there with jaywalking? Is the ML's POA leadership aware of this, and are they aptly insured?

So, the question remains. Can an agent of the property owners who is not a sworn officer of a court , or state approved policing jurisdiction, detain anyone? Your thoughts?
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #37
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Sabred,
Thank you for the invitation, and if I do I promise to stop at the gate...

JakRussll,
That was always my question. I did not know that an incorporated city could stop people from entering their town. Now Butch's answer as to who owns the streets came closest, but I still wonder how a POA can be more powerful than the city they are chartered under.

It just seems strange that in the United States a city has the right to ask you what your business is before you even enter. Back in the days of segregation there used to be signs in some towns in the South that would say 'No hobos, Catholics, Jews or (well you know the famous N word) allowed after sunset", NOW BEFORE ANY MEADOWLAKES RESIDENT JUMPS ME (luxgolfer)...I'm not saying MLs is that type of restricted town. It's just that I've never in my life encountered a 'city' that verifies why you are there before you enter, and yes I understand the concept of a gated community or apartment complex, but they aren't cities.

But anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the ticket is dismissed and what happens in this case....
Old 01-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #38
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #39
3D
HORNFAN

Three cheers for Mr. Lucksinger, I am really enjoying all of the verbal jousting and just can't help myself from joining in. I am just wondering if M.L. pays any taxes for M.F Fire dept and EMS services and do they have to stop and declare where they are going ? I lived in M. L. for about 4 years and all of my visitors disliked having to stop and tell the guard who they were visiting. I did not like that if I left my garage door open too long or if i parked my boat in my driveway for too long i would hear about it but the last straw was when they said i could not put a swing set in my backyard because i was on the golf course....MY BACKYARD!!! I sold out and moved because there were to many retired captains of their industry on the boards holding on to the last bit of authority that they may have and getting carried away with it .....just my opinion... all Mr. Lucksinger was asking for was to have his "allegedly illegal" ticket dismissed
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #40
4hmom

I agree Webmaster....very interesting
4hmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #41
bobbypuccio
Banned

Luxgolfer, meadowlakes is cheaper to live than in marble falls, our tax rates are higher and we have more expensive neighborhoods, so don't see your point in it costs more $$$$$$. Marble falls should put a gate on the other side of their gate and question the residents of meadowlakes everytime they come and go, or even better, make it a toll road. Typically, a community puts up a gate when surrounded by high crime areas, low class neighborhoods, which isn't the case. I don't think there are many home invasions in the marble falls areas, or thefts for that matter. ohcuriousone, if it weren't for marble falls providing fire,emt, and police I don't think your gated city would last very long. Maybe Mfalls should rethink hiring out our services, interesting to see how high your insurance would go. Like I said, since meadowlakes is so concerned with crime maybe we in marble falls should too, time for us to gate up our city and interrogate everyone coming and going, and just provide services for OUR city only.
bobbypuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #42
AllyMay

AllyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #43
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Does Marble Falls PD or Burnet County SO investigate crime in Meadowlakes? I know about Mutual Aid, and I know that MF EMS often contracts with surrounding communities to provide service, but Marble Falls PD and the Burnet County SO wouldn't have jurisdiction within another city limits, would they?

How does that work? Doesn't an incorporated city have the responsibility to provide its own law enforcement?

Why would the MF Fire Department take on the liability of providing first response fire protection at Marble Falls' taxpayers' expense?

Does Marble Fall EMS have a contract wtih Meadowlakes to provice EMS service?

I'm just curious...In case I decide to start my own gated city some day.

Last edited by Peaches; 01-29-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #44
BubbasGeek

BubbasGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #45
luxgolfer

Goodness gracious!

Some joker illegally enters Meadowlakes via a guarded gate and all of a sudden the city itself is being made to be at fault simply because once upon a time ago its residents decided to surround it with a fence. The comments some of you have made make you sound like a bunch of kids who are jealous of the kids next door.

There is just one business in Meadowlakes and it's open to the public: Hidden Falls Golf Course and grill. Anybody can purchase a membership at Hidden Falls, spend at its pro shop and buy at the grill. There's not another place in the city where a dime can be spent. There is no other magnet here to draw customers.

Golfers/eaters have easy access to Hidden Falls Golf Course and grill.

I don't know its full history, but Meadowlakes has been a city for many years. It is recognized as such by the state of Texas. If the city was doing anything illegal, don't you think the state would have already taken action???

I paid over $5,500 in taxes last year on my modest Meadowlakes condo. Burnet Co. received $1,045 of that sum, plus another $91 for the county's special road and bridge fund. Marble Falls ISD got $3,376 and the Water Conservation District of Central Texas got $45. The remainder ($997) went into Meadowlakes' coffers.

Marble Falls doesn't provide Meadowlakes any "freebies." We pay for fire protection and EMS. Burnet County provides secruity through the Sheriff's Department.

Meadowlakes pays for its services.

And, Meadowlakes is a good neighbor; anyone who believes differently needs to think back to the June '07 flood. Remember? Marble Falls had no waters...Meadowlakes did...Meadowlakes provided water to Marble Falls.

Now, let's put this inane matter to bed and get our attention back to more serious matters.
luxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #46
bobbypuccio
Banned

Luxgolfer, No one is saying meadowlakes is getting freebies, but they aren't paying as much for the services as marble falls residents, nor is your tax rate as high, period. "jealous of the kids next door", jealous of what I ask? There are PLENTY of neighborhoods in marble falls that have homes valued at 3 to 4 times as much as meadowlakes. Ya'll put up a gate and all of a sudden you think you live on Applehead island.
bobbypuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #47
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Y'all really need to chill out and take a lot of what's being said with a sense of humor and grace. No need to get your blood pressure up. There's enough going on in the world to worry about besides the gate at Meadowlakes and its implications.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #48
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

"Some joker illegally enters Meadowlakes via a guarded gate....." (laxgolfer)

Lux, you answered a lot of questions that were never asked. But, not the ones that were.

Which are, why is it illegal to enter Meadowlakes at all....Joker or not (your words)? Well? Why is it? What gives you the right to "detain and qualify" another individual who chooses to enter your American city? Has the Texas trespassing law been really been violated if a visitor does not meet your self-scripted, quasi-criteria? Does your "gate guard" have detention (and denial of access) authority as defined by state polce power statutes? Well, your answer?

No one asked - but you did provide that when you leave Your City, you are driving on surface roads that the residents of Marble Falls (not ML) have paid for. You do it without being delayed, qualified, followed or even required to state your business.
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #49
kb5ykj
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Does Marble Falls PD or Burnet County SO investigate crime in Meadowlakes? I know about Mutual Aid, and I know that MF EMS often contracts with surrounding communities to provide service, but Marble Falls PD and the Burnet County SO wouldn't have jurisdiction within another city limits, would they?

How does that work? Doesn't an incorporated city have the responsibility to provide its own law enforcement?

Why would the MF Fire Department take on the liability of providing first response fire protection at Marble Falls' taxpayers' expense?

Does Marble Fall EMS have a contract wtih Meadowlakes to provice EMS service?

I'm just curious...In case I decide to start my own gated city some day.
Meadowlakes Contracts for Emergency Services this way:
Burnet County So. for Law Enforcement.
Marble Falls Area VFD. for Fire & EMS First Responder.
Marble Falls EMS for Medical Services.
kb5ykj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #50
megra

Post Please Don't eat me...

But i think it stands to be said that MLs is just like any other gated community in any city... it just happens that the city ends where the subdivision ends... or vice versa... I guess what if trying to say is the size of the city really doesn't matter... gated communities everywhere are part of cities...genrally speaking of course... MLs subd. is just the same size as the city... just a thought...
megra is offline   Reply With Quote