The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Horseshoe Bay

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
carebear3774

Wireless Internet in Horseshoe Bay

Is there anyone who provides wireless internet in Horseshoe Bay, besides Zeecon?
carebear3774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

ERF Wireless and 281.Com offer wireless service in selected areas of HSB.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
carebear3774

Thanks Butch. I will try both. I left messages with both so far. We will see if they can help.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
jjones

Smile

Northland Cable TV has wireless internet in HSB proper. Not in HSB West.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
cwolfington

There is all way hughes Net if you don;t have to many trees
cwolfington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
moxie

If you haven't talked with us, or have more questions. Please give me a call at our office (830-798-9041) or E-mail support@281.com.

We offer high speed Internet through fixed wireless technologies, which means we install a wireless antenna, usually on your roof, that communicates back to one of our towers. We have four to which customers in HSB connect.

Tim Moczygemba, VP
281 Communications Inc.
moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
carebear3774

Unfortunately Tim I have not received a return call from either 281 or ERF. I am very frustrated about service out here. It seems like everything takes forever. I know that is what the Hill Country is all about, but sometimes it wears on me.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones View Post
Northland Cable TV has wireless internet in HSB proper. Not in HSB West.
Just for the record, NCTV has cable internet in HSB proper, not wireless. If you can get it, it is the best high speed internet in HSB.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
nosefornews
Super Moderator

I've been using Zeecon for a little more than a year now and it works very well. I had Pegasus at first and they were really bad...in fact I think they've gone out of business around here...
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
moxie

tarheel, while Northland provides good reliable service to my knowledge, there are situations in which cable Internet is not as good as some forms of wireless Internet.

281.com has special wireless products including dedicated links that many businesses and home customers with special needs require to attain high bandwidth, low latency, and high availability beyond the capabilities of cable technology.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
tarheel
Seasoned Member

moxie, I was trying to be helpful for the average homeowner in Horseshoe Bay. I get over 5 megabits per second, and that is consistent. Installation, for those who already have cable, such as in HSB proper, is easy and cheap. I may be wrong, so please correct me, but I think to get such speeds from 281 would require setup fees of $800 to $1200 and monthly fees of $100 and up. Am I misunderstanding?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
moxie

High end users

tarheel, you are correct about pricing for these type of high end services. All the details are available through our web site. As I stated, these are not for the average user. I simply wanted to let high end users that read this forum who need both fast download (your quote of 5 Mpbs) along with fast upload speeds (a limitation of Cable and DSL technology) that 281.com offers this type of service.

Many areas of Horseshoe Bay and all along the Highland lakes will not be able to receive Cable or DSL service because of economics. Cable and Telephone companies spend a very large amount of money up front to supply this type of connection to your homes. So, there must be a certain level of population density that lives there year round before they can hope to recoup their investment in these technologies. 281.com and other wireless providers face similar economic hurdles when deploying new towers or new technologies to new coverage areas on existing towers. All Internet Service Providers make investments which they must receive a certain number of customers before they make a profit.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
Wacoman

Check out HSB City Hall. I think it was in last week's Beacon that stated that Verizon was going to start making DSL available to all of HSB beginning in late November.

Also, someone at the City is putting together a survey of all the internet options and publish a comparison.
Wacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
tarheel
Seasoned Member

I have noticed that apparently there are many new installations of Verizon internet in the HSB area. Does anyone have reports of how that has gone? Is the service reliable and what kind of connection speeds are you seeing?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #15
nosefornews
Super Moderator

Wacoman,
would that be late November of 2010? because it's Feb and it's not available in all of HSB. I just ran my address and was told nope not at this time...
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
mayflowers

How does someone get in touch with the people that put up the antennas?
I'd like to offer a place up on my property for an antenna.
I'm up on a hill and I think this is a good spot to help spread internet service to
the hill country.
mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #17
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Nose, I just got a note from a friend a few hundred yards from me and he has just switched to Verizon successfully. Verizon verifed me, so, I am about to sign up. I live in HSB proper. Another friend lives in west and just signed up. He lives about halfway to the clubhouse from 2147.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
moxie

mayflowers, You may contact me at 281.COM at 830-798-9041 or via E-mail to Officers@281.com. We are always interested in developing new tower sites (doesn't necessarily have to be an actual tower if on a hill).

Tim Moczygemba, VP
281 Communications Inc.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #19
mayflowers

wireless internet horseshoe bay

Moxie, Thank you for the offer, you'll be getting a call real soon.
mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
boater

Texas Wireless Internet

I use TexasWirelessInternet.com in Horseshoe Bay.
Super fast and reliable! Love it!

James
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #21
Peaches
Seasoned Member

I've had Verizon DSL for several (4+) years now, and it's always worked great for me. When we moved this past year, I checked the online verification page and was told it was not yet available at our new address. When I called, however, I discovered it WAS available.

I'd give Verizon a call.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #22
Musicman

Verizon has started to provide DSL to parts of Horseshoe Bay and is an excellent option in terms of service and cost. They can provide a bundled price including Internet, Direct TV and your land telephone line that is extremely competitive. I have heard that most people that have switched have been very satisfied. I have not heard any projections about when Verizon will expand to include remaining parts of Horseshoe Bay - they do not reveal their business plans. You will have to check with them to determine if you can get it at your location. This service uses the same land lines that provide telephone service - it is not wireless. Northland Cable also uses land lines and is an excellent service that is competitively priced. Northland is only in parts of Horseshoe Bay and they do not have any plans to expand. There are a large variety of wireless services including Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Zeecon, ERF, 281, WildBlue Satellite and Hughes Net Satellite. There might be a couple of others. Wireless systems are generally a little more expensive and especially if you want higher speeds but in many cases they are the only options available in some neighborhoods. If you travel a lot with a laptop computer then the Verizon and AT&T services provide portability that can be very cost effective.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
Wacoman

I switched to TexasWirelessInternet.com earlier this year.

Very reliable. Good to Excellent speeds. Fantastic service.

I would recommend this company to anyone in Horseshoe Bay.
Wacoman is offline   Reply With Quote