The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Recreation & Sports

Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
sprawl
for a lifetime

Kayaking

Do you kayak?
Where is the best place to kayak?
Where can I rent a kayak?
sprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
WhoIsJohnGalt

Hi Sprawl!

Good place to kayak is the upper Madison, just below Quake Lake, Montana. Plenty of standing waves that will keep your attention... (sorry, couldn't resist)

Inks Lake has plenty of nooks and crannies to check out by kayak. I beleive they rent there also. Google them.
WhoIsJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
PrestonKirk

Kayaking

Hope this is a bit more helpful. You can kayak on the Guadalupe River. There is a rental & surrey at U.S. 281 on the Guadalupe and with a bit of flow, it's fun to come from Guadalupe St. Park back down to 281.

Also, you can rent Kayaks at Port O'Connor from a couple of services and there are inland or Gulf shore areas that let you get close to birds ...even fish back there. But make sure it is at HIGH tide!

Also, the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept. has established official Canoe-Kayak Trails on a number of the Rivers -- along the Colorado from downtown Bastrop -- and there are rentals in the area to designated park/take-out locations. Of course, on Lady Bird Johnson Lake in Downtown Austin -- but NO SWIMMING, since you can get ticketed. One of the newest trails is on the San Antonio River near Goliad. You can see the great Main Street, Empresario Restaurant, Hanging Tree, restored Courthouse with its beautiful chimes and the nearby Presidio La Bahia (Fort of the Bay) National Historic Landmark (290-year-old Spanish citadel, 232-year-old Our Lady of Loreto Chapel and the really fine museum. BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO GET OUT OF THE KAYAK TO DO THAT. Good side interests after a day floating and paddling.

Good luck, neighbor.
PrestonKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
PrestonKirk

One more suggestion for a day-trip: In Ingram, on the Northwest edge of Kerrville, you can rent a kayak and go up and down "The River Road" dropping into various places above low-water dams. Great in the early morning or a couple of hours below sunset as you pass mostly private property and homes beneath the giant cypresses. Lots of camps and B&B along there as I recall, and the Guadalupe literally runs behind the "Green Room" balcony porch of the Smith-Ritch Point Theatre's outdoor stage. So hang around for live theatre there on the right evening. A double-reward on a float trip with some good eating places on that short commercial stretch between Kerrville and Ingram.
PrestonKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonKirk View Post
One more suggestion for a day-trip: In Ingram, on the Northwest edge of Kerrville, you can rent a kayak and go up and down "The River Road" dropping into various places above low-water dams. Great in the early morning or a couple of hours below sunset as you pass mostly private property and homes beneath the giant cypresses. Lots of camps and B&B along there as I recall, and the Guadalupe literally runs behind the "Green Room" balcony porch of the Smith-Ritch Point Theatre's outdoor stage. So hang around for live theatre there on the right evening. A double-reward on a float trip with some good eating places on that short commercial stretch between Kerrville and Ingram.

excellent suggestion. Ingram is a great area for Kayaking..especially if one goes above the dam area
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
sprawl
for a lifetime

Thanks for the suggestions! I was on Inks last weekend and I've kayaked Town Lake (ahem, Lady Bird) on many occasions. I will definitely have to check out the Goliad trip - that sounds right up my alley!
sprawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
TexasGal
Texas Gal

http://www.justyakin.com/
This is the link for a great company located right here in MF and who will deliver the kayaks to you! We rented two on the 4th of July weekend and all the kids loved them. We thought the rates were very reasonable and were impressed with the service! Give them a try; I think you'll be glad!
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
WhoIsJohnGalt

Preston--you make me want to get a kayak! Thanks for the suggestions.
WhoIsJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote