The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Recreation & Sports

Old 05-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member

Way to go Highlander Sports Dept. NOT

I am once again amazed at the hit and miss coverage in our local paper. I attended a very nice awards program on Monday night in the Marble Falls High School auditorium. This program honored the students who have spent hundreds, if not more, hours this year participating in baseball, softball (two rounds of playoffs) and weight-lifting. I'm sure to mention this because you darn sure can't read anything about it in todays paper (nor was there a word on the banquet in Tuesdays paper). In todays paper you can read not one, not two, but three articles about the banquet on Wednesday night that honored the tennis, track and golfs kids. Do Not Get Me Wrong! I applaud each and every one of these kids but couldn't their counterparts on Monday have had some of the coverage? Hopefully when the River City comes out tomorrow Jennifer will have done the Monday crew more justice. I know that she didn't miss a softball game so maybe there's hope yet.
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #2
depot

I could not agree more! If you look at their website it is even more outdated than their news!
THERE ARE OTHER ATHLETES IN THIS TOWN OTHER THAN FOOTBALL and these kiddos work just as hard if not harder with many of them playing year round!
Shame on you Highlander
depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
springflower
Seasoned Member

I agree, The Highlander is a disappointment.
My daughter graduated at age 17, and her picture wasn't even included.
I would think that being the youngest graduate in the class would be given a small space in the "News" paper.
This was a few years ago. I don't know if this was the Marble Falls High school or the Newspaper who failed but it was sad.
I didn't see any reason to make a big deal of it since the paper was out and the graduating class photos were printed, minus my daughter.
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
numberonemom

The Highlander and all other newspapers cannot be at every sporting event that every team in the area participants in. Most teams have a desginated person who writes articles for the newspaper detailing scores and who did what when. My husband and I have coached several teams throughout our lives in various cities around Texas. We always make sure our kiddos get good newspaper coverage by writing the articles yourselves. Also, when you have news that you think should be covered such as a graduating 17 year old, do not hesitate to contact the newspaper. Their small staff can't know everything about everything though they try.
numberonemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator

There were a bunch in my class that graduated at age 17, I'm sure we never got a second look either
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
springflower
Seasoned Member

Reapp, That explains it then. It just wasn't "News". We were new to the area at the time. And I didn't know graduating at 17 was very common in this area.
We're all proud of our kids!
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote