The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Recreation & Sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Belle
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 247
Leonel Manzano

Why in the world is this young man, GS resident, MF grad, not getting the press he deserves ? Not a word on TV.
He is doing fantastic and today he may make history !
Am I the only one watching the Olympic trials ?
Please everyone, give him a shout out and a prayer!!

Last edited by Belle; 07-01-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: comma
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Sabrered
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
Probably because he participates in an event that is akin to watching grass grow. The 1500 meter lacks the excitement of the 100 meter sprint, the 400 meter sprint relay, or the hurdles. When the 1500 meter event starts, you have time to go to the bathroom, wash your hands, make a sandwich, start the dishwasher and still not miss anything. It's an endurance race and boring.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Taxlave
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buchanan Dam
Posts: 33
Go Manzano!! Great win!! Good luck in London!
Taxlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Belle
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 247
Way to go Leo !! Congrats, #1... Have fun in London and bring home the gold !!!
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Reapp
Super Moderator
 
Reapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 446
Excellent!
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
cougargirl78
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 58
I agree with Belle, Leo deserves much more media attention. It seems that the commentators have their favorites chosen before the race and only focus on those. That's why it was so awesome that Leo came out first at the trials, even though he was only mentioned a few times during the 1500 race. The majority of what we heard was "Oregon strategy, Centro, Wheating." Take that commentators! As far as the race lacking excitement, I disagree with you Sabrered. Awesome job Leo! We'll be praying, watching, and cheering for you back home!!!
cougargirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
JudgeGil
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
Why in the world is this young man, GS resident, MF grad, not getting the press he deserves ? Not a word on TV.
He is doing fantastic and today he may make history !
Am I the only one watching the Olympic trials ?
Please everyone, give him a shout out and a prayer!!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...500/55968260/1

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...nel_manza.html

Here is some great video of the entire race. Leo gets buried in the pack for a while, then at about 2:30 he goes outside and starts passing runners. His push starts on the last curve and then the kick in the last 100 meters looks like a sprint. An incredible race that is a lot more exciting to watch than just watching grass grow:
http://universalsports.com/video/2012-usa-olympic-track-and-field-trials-leonel-manzano-wins-1500m/

And an interesting site with a lot of "Leo Lore." http://bringbackthemile.com/athletes/detail/leonel_manzano
__________________
--
Gil Jones

Last edited by JudgeGil; 07-07-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Added another link
JudgeGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
mfpstorage
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrered View Post
Probably because he participates in an event that is akin to watching grass grow. The 1500 meter lacks the excitement of the 100 meter sprint, the 400 meter sprint relay, or the hurdles. When the 1500 meter event starts, you have time to go to the bathroom, wash your hands, make a sandwich, start the dishwasher and still not miss anything. It's an endurance race and boring.
You really have no clue! Go back to making your sandwiches and get comfy on the couch.

Leonel, You are AMAZING!!! He's the shortest guy out there and to beat all the leaner long legged body types his leg turnover is a unbelieveably FAAAASST!!!! Like Belle I don't understand why he doesn't get more recognition in the media. Shame on them. I hope he leaves thier jaws flapping in LONDON.
mfpstorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Nomos
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpstorage View Post
You really have no clue! Go back to making your sandwiches and get comfy on the couch.

Leonel, You are AMAZING!!! He's the shortest guy out there and to beat all the leaner long legged body types his leg turnover is a unbelieveably FAAAASST!!!! Like Belle I don't understand why he doesn't get more recognition in the media. Shame on them. I hope he leaves thier jaws flapping in LONDON.
Watch the video linked by judgegil and you will see that leg speed in action.
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Belle
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 247
Ya did it again Leo, great job in those European meets ! You not only win races but you have won the hearts of so many people for your faith, grace and humility. Keep it up we're with you all the way.
Granite Shoals and Marble Falls has always been proud of you.

Thanks Judge Gil for posting the links ! Please keep it up for those of us who are so electronically challenged.

Last edited by Belle; 07-13-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: PS
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
freedom
Seasoned Member
 
freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 99
Congratulations Leo for hard work and determination but I sure cannot give you a pass on holding up the Mexican flag after winning. You are an American! An American citizen ! Everything you have accomplished came from your life here, your education, your parents success etc...

You are representing our country, NOT Mexico.

I'm disgusted.

go ahead and ban me moderator, for I am quite certain what I speak is not politically correct enough for this forum.


freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
butchkemper
Seasoned Member
 
butchkemper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Marble Falls, TX, USA
Posts: 186
The young man is honoring both the country of his citizenship (US) and the country of his heritage (Mexico). The prominence is given to the US flag.

Take a deep breath, straighten out the wrinkles in your panties, and rejoice in the accomplishment of an extraordinary young man from our area.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
JakRussll
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 186
Oh My! It is incomprehensible that there could be a negative contribution attributed to his accomplishment. Leo had made me proud and I have never met him. How often does that happen in life. This has been a watershed moment in the life of Leo's friends, family and our entire Highland Lakes community.

Your post (freedom) is reprehensible and ignorant. Leo holds citizenship in two countries. At his life's proudest moment he chose not to unring the bell of his motherland. He chose instead to salute and thank his extended family and thousands of supporters who live so very close to us. He had a choice and chose to compete -on perhaps the worlds largest stage - as a proud American for which we should be so very grateful for.

And then there is you!
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Reapp
Super Moderator
 
Reapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 446
Freedom - you have every right to express your opinion, and I have no problem with your post.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
freedom
Seasoned Member
 
freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapp View Post
Freedom - you have every right to express your opinion, and I have no problem with your post.
And thank God we "still" live in a country where one can speak their opinion...

...butch and jak, I think you will find I'm not as far off base on this as you might suggest.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
Sugar
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Congratulations Leo for hard work and determination but I sure cannot give you a pass on holding up the Mexican flag after winning. You are an American! An American citizen ! Everything you have accomplished came from your life here, your education, your parents success etc...

You are representing our country, NOT Mexico.

I'm disgusted.

go ahead and ban me moderator, for I am quite certain what I speak is not politically correct enough for this forum.


Maybe I am missing something here. Mr Manzano is also a citizen of Mexico. Being as this is a world event (on a foreign continent at that) and not just an NCAA or USAA sanctioned tournament I find his dual allegience non-threatening and quite appropriate and respectful.
Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
mrdonkhan
Member
 
mrdonkhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 45
I'm a big fan of Leo. He had the right to express himself in the way he did after the race. I disagree with what he did as he probably scared away sponsers with that act. He now can only market himself to a certain demographic. That is a lot of money left on the table when his athletic career is so short. I wish him the best.
mrdonkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
springflower
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 246
Thank you for posting this. It's wonderful to see a local make it big!
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #19
Sabrered
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
I understand that he's already contacted a metallurgist to have his Silver Medal Bronzed.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
freedom
Seasoned Member
 
freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 99
Interesting read...one of many on the subject.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...7666--oly.html
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #21
Sabrered
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
This just proves that he wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
cougargirl78
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 58
I agree Sugar and if he chose to show his gratitude in the way that he did, good for him. I think people are just upset that it's the Mexican flag that was waved around, I don't think it would have been a big deal had it been another flag, but that is a totally different topic which I will not get into. In the meantime, I will join Leo in his celebration and support his freedom of expression!!! For all other haters, win a medal in the Olympics, and celebrate the way you "think" it should be celebrated. Way to go Leo!!!!
cougargirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
ohcuriousone
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 153
Seriously you dont understand? What exactly has Mexico done for Leo? Lets see, his family came here illegally, the US educated him, educated his brother and sisters, sent him to UT, oh and THEN he became a citizen in time for him to be on the 2008 team and for the community of Marble Falls to send his parents to the Olympics to watch him run for the US team. Where in the hell did Mexico contribute here? Oh, and by the way, I did put my money where my mouth was in 2008' ---to send his parents to watch him represent the US, not Mexico. I have learned my lesson.

Last edited by ohcuriousone; 08-12-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
ohcuriousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #24
Llano
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 45
I respect the efforts anyone puts into winning an Olympic Metal.
I am curious, how many other Olympic metal winners carried Two Flags after winning??
I wonder why he didn't carry two before winning?
I wonder what any country but the U.S. would do about this?

In my opinion, this young man's inappropriate actions bring many issues to light.
This is not the thread to discuss all the differences between the rights of US citizens in Mexico and our treatment of Mexican Nationals in the US.

So if you want to yell at me at tell me how wrong I am, send me a message, or better yet, start another thread and I will respond with facts.
Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
freedom
Seasoned Member
 
freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 99
sooo, jakrussel, ....did you just disappear? Seeing as my post was
"reprehensible and ignorant" I'd like to hear your thoughts now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakRussll View Post
Oh My! It is incomprehensible that there could be a negative contribution attributed to his accomplishment. Leo had made me proud and I have never met him. How often does that happen in life. This has been a watershed moment in the life of Leo's friends, family and our entire Highland Lakes community.

Your post (freedom) is reprehensible and ignorant. Leo holds citizenship in two countries. At his life's proudest moment he chose not to unring the bell of his motherland. He chose instead to salute and thank his extended family and thousands of supporters who live so very close to us. He had a choice and chose to compete -on perhaps the worlds largest stage - as a proud American for which we should be so very grateful for.

And then there is you!
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Aardvarks are cool


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Jett Fuel Productions, LLC - All Rights Reserved