The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Community Discussions > City Topics > Horseshoe Bay

Old 09-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
hillcountrywoman

Any possibility of a grocery store coming to Horseshoe Bay?

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any company planning to build a grocery store in Horseshoe Bay or the near vicinity.
hillcountrywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
nosefornews
Super Moderator

There has been talk of putting in one near American Bank for years now, but so far that's all it's been...
nosefornews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
I had heard something about a Super S Foods, but that was months ago.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
mdarling
Seasoned Member

Good luck with this one. Horseshoe Bay has been talking about a grocery store for more than 15 years; and it still hasn't happened.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
megaiq

Horseshoe Bay's demographics do not support that type of development. With only 2,600 full-time residents (based on voter registrations) and traffic counts on RR-2147 at under 10,000 cars/day, combined with the cost of land on RR-2147 being in the $6-$8/sf range, the economics will not support it. A commercial developer would have to get $2+ per square foot per month in rent for a building on land that costs $6/sf. Even a small grocery would require 10,000 sf. There's no way they can make it paying $20,000 per month in rent.

The proposed center next to American Bank had made a deal with a deli/grocery operator in the Lakeway area to open a store in their center. They had to offer free space and pay a sizable cash fee to get that operator to agree to come here. There was an expectation that having that as an anchor would attract other tenants, who would then have to pay even higher rent rates to make up for that give-away. Obviously, that was not possible.

Until the permanent resident population in Horseshoe Bay increases substantially, it will not be likely that any developer will build a new retail center that would support a grocery store.
megaiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
fairlyoldguy

as I was checking out at HEB the other day, the credit card machine asked for my zip code. I was about to skip it and then thought: " hummm, wonder if HEB calculates the number of Horseshoe Bay people that use their store?" Perhaps HEB would consider a store in Horseshoe Bay if they could see how many of us shop the MF store. So, I would suggest: all you HSB folks...be sure to put in the 78657 in the zip code when you check out...it might help HEB to consider a store out here if they see a bunch of HSB zip codes
fairlyoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlyoldguy View Post
as I was checking out at HEB the other day, the credit card machine asked for my zip code. I was about to skip it and then thought: " hummm, wonder if HEB calculates the number of Horseshoe Bay people that use their store?" Perhaps HEB would consider a store in Horseshoe Bay if they could see how many of us shop the MF store. So, I would suggest: all you HSB folks...be sure to put in the 78657 in the zip code when you check out...it might help HEB to consider a store out here if they see a bunch of HSB zip codes
The zip code checking is a credit card processing company security protocol. The billing zip code for your credit card account is compared to what you entered. If they do not match, the transaction is declined.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
hillcountrywoman

Sometimes the Zip code is used to confirm that the user is the credit card holder, but in this case I don't think it is. For example, I am a part time resident of HSB having a credit card with a Dallas area zip code for the billing address. When I shop at HSB in Marble Falls I put in 78657 and have never had an issue using my credit card. In this case I DO think they are collecting data to determine what areas they are pulling from.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Super S Food Stores was all set to come into HSB back in 2007-08 but when the economy went bust those plans disappeared. My bil use to set up their new stores.

I doubt very seriously that HEB would consider putting in any new stores that would take away from the new Super Store that they are wanting to build in MF.

I also know that quite a few businesses refuse to come into MF because of dangerous traffic issues.

Last edited by lmam88; 07-08-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Missing info
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
tncnoack

What dangerous traffic issues
tncnoack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
lmam88
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncnoack View Post
What dangerous traffic issues
He said the land they looked at on 281 have/had issues for customers pulling in and out. He said there were other companies that found the same thing.
Hopefully the turning lane being extended has solved some of those issues...
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #12
GolfSeller

The zip code input on the credit card machines at HEB has nothing to do with credit card verification. If you swipe your card before entering a zip code it processes the transaction and completely skips that step. I assume that they are collecting the data to determine demographics of their customers.

I do input my 78654 zip when I shop in MF or Bee Caves or any other HEB. IMO we desperately need an upgrade. The store gets crowded at peak times and the parking lot is a mess getting into and out of even when it's not very busy.

As for an HSB HEB, I would be very surprised to see any grocery store go in there, being only 10-15 minutes from MF's HEB and Wal-Mart. I don't see many businesses that can even hang on through the fall/winter slow season.
GolfSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
fairlyoldguy

yeah, probably right about HEB not wanting a store in HSB to compete with itself. It would have to be somebody else. And thats just not going to work. I heard several years back that the HEB superstore would be on the LaVanta area south of town...that would be better for us HSB residents. I'd look for that to happen in 5-10 years when the economy comes back.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
fairlyoldguy

Well, today the Highlander and the Beacon says that Jamail's will put in a store in HSB. Whoopie ! I lived in The Woodlands over by Houston in the 80's and Jamail had a store there...it was Wonderful !! Lets hope they don't belive all the hype of "snobbery" in HSB and put in "upscale" stuff. The demographic of HSB is changing...HAS changed...and more normal folks live here now.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #15
hillcountrywoman

Agree with you, fairly old guy! Good quality produce, meat, fish etc. Will be what will make them successful. Hope that's what their plan is.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
OldTimer

I was a Jamil store customer in West University Place back in the late 60's..I don't remember it being *upscale* then but it was certainly know for quality and for its exceptional clean stores..More than that, they were in, of and for the community..

I'd even dare the white knuckle drive (for me) down 2147 to shop there..

Good for HSB!
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
JWebb
Seasoned Member

I lived in Houston for 31 yeas before happily moving to Marble Falls in the summer of 2006. I loved Jamail's and was disappointed when they closed. I also would drive to HSB occasionally to visit this new store.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote