The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Don't buy from Sears

We bought a dryer at Sears in May of 2010. It stopped working in early June of 2011. Yes, we bought the extended warranty, so we called them to come make the repairs. They came out twice, and were supposed to come out again today. They didn't show.

I've been without a dryer for 1 month. I've got five people in this house, and two of them are kids. The younger one gets allergies if I hang her clothes outside.

I will NEVER buy another thing from Sears.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Racklefras
Seasoned Member

Wow - when I've had things from Sears they have been GREAT! I'm so surprised you had this kind of trouble. This is historically speaking. My current appliances are all Kitchenaide that came with the house.
Racklefras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Webmaster
Benevolent Admin

Send a message via AIM to Webmaster
Yeah - I've bought a few things from Sears. I've never tried their extended warranty service on appliances, but I love their hand tool return policy. I had a 20 year old Craftsman ratchet break and Sears replaced it for free with a brand new one.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
mrdonkhan

The problem with Sears Repair Division is they only come out to Marble Falls once a week on Tuesday. They get so backlogged with requests that you might wait 2-3 weeks before they come out to diagnosis the problem. If they have the parts on the truck they might fix it right away but if they have to order parts you'll wait a couple of weeks for all the parts then make an appointment and 2 weeks later they arrive and fix the problem. That was my recent experience with them this past month. It took 2 months for them to fix my dishwasher. The repairman was helpful and competent and professional. So the slow service has to be an organizational one.
mrdonkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Wezel

Lowe's is wonderful!
Wezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkhan View Post
The problem with Sears Repair Division is they only come out to Marble Falls once a week on Tuesday. They get so backlogged with requests that you might wait 2-3 weeks before they come out to diagnosis the problem. If they have the parts on the truck they might fix it right away but if they have to order parts you'll wait a couple of weeks for all the parts then make an appointment and 2 weeks later they arrive and fix the problem. That was my recent experience with them this past month. It took 2 months for them to fix my dishwasher. The repairman was helpful and competent and professional. So the slow service has to be an organizational one.
They wanted to wait 10 days to come out, but we called back and told them that was unacceptable. So, the came out the following Wednesday (after telling me they didn't have any appointments available earlier than 10 days.) The guy came out, looked at the power cord, said he had to order the part to which the power cord connects, said I would have to buy the new power cord, and left. A different guy came out to following Thursday and actually took the unit apart. He needed more parts, so he said he would be back on Wednesday (yesterday). He didn't show. When we called they told us the appointment was scheduled for July 6th. The repairman specifically said he would be back on June 29.

I'm going to call the Marble Falls Sears store and give them an opportunity to get someone out here TODAY. We bought the dryer and the service warranty from them, and when I file a complaint with the AG's Consumer Protection Agency, I'll be filing the complaint against them. IT's their reputation on the line. Let's see if they care...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Well, I was going to call Sears, but apparently they are not answering their phone today.

Wezel, you're right...everyone says good things about Lowe's.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Peaches
Seasoned Member

I finely got in touch with the Marble Falls store manager. He said he would look into the matter and call me back. Didn't hear from him, so we called him back. He said there was nothing he could do and pretty much said he didn't care if I file a complaint with anybody.

Why are these people still in business?

I filed a complaint with the AG's consumer complaint division. I'm going to go out and buy another dryer, and send a demand letter to Sears for the return of my money...including the money for the warranty.

I spoke with six people who told me it took months to get their appliances repaired. I don't think the AG's office is going to like hearing what they have to say. They asked that I include their stories in my complaint.

I encourage anybody who's had problems with Sears to contact the AG's office and file a complaint. The AG will take Sears to court, and it won't be a pretty site for Sears!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Peaches
Seasoned Member

You know, if I hadn't just gotten out of the hospital yesterday, I would devote my entire July 4th weekend to marching in front of the Sears store so people don't get burned with July 4th specials...
Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

The store in M Falls is not a company store and these are not Sears employees. The store is an Authorized retailer (aka Hometown store). While they certainly should try their best to service all your needs, they lack the corporate muscle that they really need to serve their customers, particularily on warranty issues. All they can do is "request" a service call and they are at the peril of the regional scheduler after that. It has to be frustrating. Especially since you sprung for the extended warranty.

While I like to shop locally also, this "reseller retailer" is not a good business model for making a major purchase. I would suggest if you insist on making a major purchase from Sears, you go to Barton Creek or Lakeline where you can actually return a product if you need to with less hassle. You can drop off some items for service there, but most importantly you are dealing with the true Sears company - true Sears management - who have the authority to make a promise and keep it. That is the Sears that we grew up with.

sears <--What is a Sears Authorized retailer?
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
SPARKY

I had a problem with sears 49yrs ago,haven't been in any insurance,tire,rental,stores since..

Last edited by SPARKY; 07-03-2011 at 06:19 PM.
SPARKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Can you imagine telling one of your customers, "You'll have to go to a laundrymat or hang them outside." That's the problem...they consider their customers idiots. They don't respect us.

Where is Eddie Shell? Can we say, "Class Action"?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Can you imagine telling one of your customers, "You'll have to go to a laundrymat or hang them outside." That's the problem...they consider their customers idiots. They don't respect us.

Class action is the "lawyers relief act." The defendant pays lots, the class members get next to nothing, and the lawyers get most of the settlement.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post

Did they actually say those words to you?
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
Did they actually say those words to you?
About taking them to a laundrymat or hanging them? YES. Can you believe that? As if I had to be told how to do without a dryer for however long they drag their feet.

Butch, I know you're right, but generally a good class action lawsuit puts an end to this kind of fraud by that particular company. It'll take years, (no matter how it goes to court) and maybe my heirs will inherit my portion of the money, but, as you pointed out, it'll cost Sears a ton of money to fight it....
Old 07-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
jeannielee

Disgusting Repair Response

We had a Kenmore water softener that needed repair. It's been a couple of years ago and I don't remember all the details, but I coudn't get anyone to respond from Sears to come out and repair it. I ended up talking to people on the East Coast literally. Finally sent e-mails and my complaint ended up going up their chain of command all the way to their Legal people. Finally weeks later a young man from a company in Cedar Park called and came out and repaired it. The water softener broke again last summer and we replaced it with a GE...
jeannielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
tarheel
Seasoned Member

It is sad to read this about Sears. I was a pretty dedicated Sears customer for a long time, and that was because they were so good about standing behind their products. The word Craftsman used to really mean something.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Peaches
Seasoned Member

I filed a complaint with the BBB over the weekend. I was surprised to see the number of complaints filed against them for warranties. Why would I think to check the BBB on a company the size of Sears before buying?

I agree with you, Tarheel. They used to stand behind their products, but things sure have changed. Sears can only live on their old reputation for so long, and in this economy that "so long" is even shorter than before.

One other thing I did was purchase a home policy through American Home Shield. I covered my washer, dryer, dishwasher, stove top, oven, water heater, Central A/C and heat, well pump and electrical for about $50 per month (You can cover ten items for $45. I added the Well pump for an additional charge). My son had good experiences with AHS, and I hope that stands to be true.

Last edited by Peaches; 07-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #19
fairlyoldguy

I, too, made the mistake of buying a tractor from Marble Falls Sears rather than at Barton Creek because I wanted to shop "local". I had a problem with it and the local store people basically told me they didn't care and to go away. Only when I caught their Sears "overseer" at the store did I get some action. Problem ?....local merchants as re-sellers should NOT be allowed to use the brand name. As stated, its SEARS that gets the bad rap for a bunch of idiots that decide to run a slip shod business with Sears products. I will NEVER, EVER go back to the local Sears store in Marble Falls, and will bad-mouth them to anyone who will listen. The owners, father and his son, are absolutely obnoxious.
fairlyoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Sounds like the title to this should read "Do not go to the Marble Falls Sears Authorized Retailer." However, Sears needs to know about and fix this. Someone who has been damaged should take this up with Sears itself.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #21
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel View Post
Sounds like the title to this should read "Do not go to the Marble Falls Sears Authorized Retailer." However, Sears needs to know about and fix this. Someone who has been damaged should take this up with Sears itself.
When I filed the complaint with the BBB, the website actually had me file the complaint with Sears in Chicago. I'm not sure Sears really cares about this problem, but I guess I'll find out. I'll let you know the outcome of the BBB case.

I think the AG's office will be the most effective course for getting the problem resolved. I didn't buy a dryer and a warranty to have the store manager tell me they would "get to it eventually." (Yes, that's what he told me!) I bought the warranty so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting the machine repaired. I think the AG would probably go after Sears really hard if his office heard some of the stories I've heard since this happened to me. One couple lived out of an ice chest for 3 weeks while Sears played this game with them over their fridge. One person said it took 3 months to get a dishwasher fixed. One man said he told them to come take $15,000 worth of siding off his home because it wasn't installed correctly (they took a lien against his home instead of fixing the problem). Not one person with whom I've spoken has had a positive experience with Sears' Warranties. I'll never buy anything from ANY Sears store again...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
springflower
Seasoned Member

It's not just Sears. It's the manufacturers, they don't care what they send out to the stores.
These products are not made in America, they are made by folks who laugh at Americans for paying high prices for low quality items.
I had problems with a refrigerator from Conn's Appliances. I don't ever want to buy from them again.
But really, it could have happened if I had bought that refrigerator at Sears,Best Buy,or where ever.
I wish our country would produce it's own products,but that's like wishing I could grow wings and fly.
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springflower View Post
It's not just Sears. It's the manufacturers, they don't care what they send out to the stores.
These products are not made in America, they are made by folks who laugh at Americans for paying high prices for low quality items.
I had problems with a refrigerator from Conn's Appliances. I don't ever want to buy from them again.
But really, it could have happened if I had bought that refrigerator at Sears,Best Buy,or where ever.
I wish our country would produce it's own products,but that's like wishing I could grow wings and fly.
I agree with what you're saying about the manufacturers, but SEARS left me without a dryer for a month even though I had a warranty. If I hadn't bought the warranty from them, I wouldn't be so upset about their lack of concern.

I think Conn's got in trouble with the AG for not taking care of warranties. Maybe I saw that on the BBB site, but maybe you should check it out. I think they had to refund some money to some customers....