The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Miscellaneous

Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
Sarah Kate

Question Trash on 1431

Does anyone know who's responsible for the trash that litters 1431 west of MF, especially between MF and Granite Shoals? I'm fairly new to the area, and I was appalled when I first saw it - and I remain appalled. There seems to be too much of it to be incidental littering.
Sarah Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
springflower
Seasoned Member

There's litter bugs all around us. Some people just don't even think twice about tossing a bag of trash out of their window.
I think that in their minds, the trash just magically disappears.
Even city workers will allow trash to fly out of the back of their trucks.
I'd say finding "who's responsible" is like finding a needle in a haystack.
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Pure Texan

It's mostly construction workers and the trash trucks. Ive seen it for myself. Even reported it one time and was told by 911 that if the officer didnt see it nothing could be done about it.
ps I even had PLATE #, MAKE MODEL.WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO CITIZENS ARREST?

Last edited by Pure Texan; 07-25-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: FORGOT SOMETHING
Pure Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
hammad

i dont know what to say how crap these disgusting people are
they are just like the same garbage that they are keep putting out from there window.
they have to have to understand that if they can't throw it in there bedroom they can't throw it out of there window either.
they think that the bedroom is there own place so go get a free ticket to hell you dumb people this city is yours too. You are paying taxes.
Learn manners
hammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Littering is right up there at the top of my list of pet peeves.

When I first read Sarah Kates' post I assumed she was asking which city agency was responsible for the clean up. I was going to say the people whose arms are attached to the litter going out the window are ultimately responsible but that seems to be the general theme here. Unfortunately I don't think the people that litter are the type that would read this forum.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
tarheel
Seasoned Member

This has been pretty thoroughly discussed.
Go to http://www.thehighlandlakes.com/show...highlight=1431

1431 towards Kingsland is one of the worst littering areas I've ever seen.
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
PrestonKirk

Well, I don't travel that route all that often, living in Spicewood, but may I suggest A) Contact your county commissioner and the Place person; B) Contact the Texas Highway Dept. and ask for help cleaning it up and posting more "Don't Mess with Texas" signs along there; C) Ask the County Sheriff if he can put a crew of jail trustys/inmates onto the problem; D) Ask your local judges to consider imposing penalties for civil violations that include trash pick-up; E) Approach a business or civic/social/frathernal/religious organization about "Adopting" a portion of that highway for regular clean-up. "Next 2 Miles Adopted by HighlandLakes.com "Keep it Cleaner" Forum Readers" Or, G) create a hike-and-bike trail along the route to draw the two cities closer together so that those users will be more attentive to keeping it clean.
That's HOW to "bell the cat." Now WHO is going to actually get the ball rolling? Remember Lady Bird is dead an gone. If the baton has been dropped, pick it up. Just don't comment on it.
PrestonKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
carvet44
Seasoned Member

I'm not physically in a position to be picking up the trash, but those that can should, if possible, see if there are any names, addresses, etc., on any of the papers. Contact those people? I doubt if dumping trash where they live would leave an impression, but is there a fine?
carvet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
cwolfington

I think that if it came from a trash truck the paper was in a trash can.
cwolfington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
organicfoodlover

Trash on 1431

I have contacted the Texas Highway Dept. but have not yet gotten a response. I would think the Economic Development group of Marble Falls would have some interest as it demonstrates a very poor state of affairs for those who come to the area for tourism and business.

Also, the new Tennis Center group (name escapes me but I'll look it up later) would likely have a vested interest in doing something to get some community involvement to clean up the area. It seems that the area just around the granite quarry has cleanup crews but the trash collects very quickly so the "clean" doesn't last long. More signage and enforcement of litter laws might help but that means law enforcement would have to stop people and watch for the problem.

Maybe if a few people contact the Texas Highway Dept., the Marble Falls Economic Council, the Burnet County Sherrif's dept. etc. it might help get some involvement going. It's a very high speed road and picking up trash can be dangerous - not to mention snakes!
organicfoodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicfoodlover View Post
I have contacted the Texas Highway Dept. but have not yet gotten a response. I would think the Economic Development group of Marble Falls would have some interest as it demonstrates a very poor state of affairs for those who come to the area for tourism and business.

Also, the new Tennis Center group (name escapes me but I'll look it up later) would likely have a vested interest in doing something to get some community involvement to clean up the area. It seems that the area just around the granite quarry has cleanup crews but the trash collects very quickly so the "clean" doesn't last long. More signage and enforcement of litter laws might help but that means law enforcement would have to stop people and watch for the problem.

Maybe if a few people contact the Texas Highway Dept., the Marble Falls Economic Council, the Burnet County Sherrif's dept. etc. it might help get some involvement going. It's a very high speed road and picking up trash can be dangerous - not to mention snakes!
If you feel so strongly, then you are the person to organize a group to adopt that section of the highway. Don't wait for someone else to do it, take the bull by the horns and get with it.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Have you ever crossed the border? nuff said...
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchkemper View Post
If you feel so strongly, then you are the person to organize a group to adopt that section of the highway. Don't wait for someone else to do it, take the bull by the horns and get with it.

Butch
Well put Butchkemper.Thats how it should be done.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonigking View Post
Have you ever crossed the border? nuff said...

You mean theres a border between MFs and GSs.. When are they going to Finish building the fence.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
tonigking
Seasoned Member

Yes, then there's that...
tonigking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
organicfoodlover

No butchkemper, it's not that I feel so strongly inclined in particular to do the work involved - I don't have a vested interest but just thought I'd give it a go since I know it bothers people. I didn't start this thread. And as I said, it's not safe getting out on the road on foot with people driving 60-70 mph past you in a snake invested trench to pick up trash in tall grasses. Some jobs are better left to county, state and corporate interests who can fund the proper equipment and staff with required safety gear. That person isn't 'lil ol me but I can certainly make phone calls, write letters and try to get some action - which is what I choose to do and often succeed at doing.

Besides, I already "do my part" with picking up trash in my own city where luckily the traffic speeds are only 30 mph and they are kept cut - but unfortunately still get littered with mostly lunch trash from contractors who come in to work in the area.

Last edited by organicfoodlover; 11-16-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #17
organicfoodlover

I did get a response from Howard Lyons, the TxDOT Area Engineer responsible for RM 1431 and the other State Highway System corridors in Burnet County. He said "I regret to hear your frustration with litter on this roadway. I do not know exactly when you were in the area, but we had our contractor remove litter last week (Nov. 8-9). We do have two Adopt-A-Highway Sections that are awaiting the participants to pick the litter in their assigned areas.

I intend to have our contract mowers start on this section sometime next week. I will have maintenance staff from the Llano Maintenance Section patrol the corridor to remove large litter items and any eye sore areas from now thru Christmas.

Due to financial constraints I have had to decrease the frequency of litter pick ups by our contractor. I am seeking more groups to adopt 2-mile sections of this corridor. If I could get the entire 9 mile section adopted, I would have an opportunity to keep the corridor much cleaner. If you know someone who would be interested in organizing a group, please let me know. I have listed some websites below which might be helpful in that regard."

I'm going to try and get some businesses in the immediate area interested in participating in the adopt a highway program. I'm also going to write the Marble Falls Chamber and the Economic Devleopment Council to see if they might be willing to help out. If the state can keep the grass cut regularly it would be much easier for people to pick up the trash.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #18
countryboy
Seasoned Member

If folks think that stretch of road is bad. They only need to look at hwy 281 south of the bridge to see alot of trash alongside the hwy.Its bad right now

Last edited by countryboy; 11-24-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
countryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
organicfoodlover

I did speak to someone at the MF Chamber who is going to try to get some interest in adopting portions of the highway. I also have contacted several people in the City of Granite Shoals. I know our are has a pretty active volunteer group who does this kind of thing. Maybe they can get something similar going.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #20
springflower
Seasoned Member

This is the perfect time to do our part.
The weather is cool and we all want to get in shape.
Go for a nice long walk. Take a small backpack with small plastic bags to fill with trash as you go along.
The bending and lifting is great exercise along with the walk.
What I do is walk during trash pick up day when people have their trash cans out by the road.
Then as I am walking in that area I pick up trash,fill up my bag and place it in the trash can closest to me. If I see the people out in their yards I will ask if they are ok with what I am doing.
So far every neighbor has been very pleased to share their trash can to rid of litter along the road near their home.
If everyone picked up trash as they walked,we'd all be healthier and the neighborhood would be cleaner.
At least I do enjoy my walks and I feel good about what I am doing.
springflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
tarheel
Seasoned Member

Springflower, right on!
tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
kennedylaw
Law Guy

This isn't just a problem on the highways. Someone in Pecan Valley likes to throw beer cans and bottles on the side of the road on the way home at night. Every week I pick up several in front of my property and my neighbor's property.
kennedylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
dadelancey

I know this is a pretty dead thread, but I wanted to try to help explain the trash issue on 1431. I got so fed up with how bad it looked just before Granite Mountain coming out of Marble Falls that I actually adopted that section of the road a few years ago. After cleaning the 2 mile stretch 3 times, I was contacted by Llano County TxDOT not to clean it anymore because it was too much of a hazard. After which they took down the Adopt-A-Highway signs and as far as I know, still haven't put them back up. I'm not sure if the litter is as bad as it used to be after they widened the road, but I would gladly go back to cleaning it if I could. I know at one point I was told they contract out certain areas of roadways to companies to clean the roads, and if they don't clean a certain amount then they lose money. I did it with no payment of any kind and would never expect any, all I wanted to do was make the road look better. I don't drive that direction much anymore but I hope today it looks better than it did, because "Bad" certainly doesn't describe the level of disgust I had for how it looked a few years ago.
dadelancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
Immune
Seasoned Member

Yeah its hard to get anything done about these things. I reported to LCRA about a lady dumping her furnature and garbage in a creek bed. I was told unless the creek had a name, they couldnt do anything. I told them I would name it Trash Dump Creek if that would help...lol They laughed but said she told them it was on her property.

Property or not, it runs into LBJ. I just dont understand it. =/
Immune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immune View Post
Yeah its hard to get anything done about these things. I reported to LCRA about a lady dumping her furnature and garbage in a creek bed. I was told unless the creek had a name, they couldnt do anything. I told them I would name it Trash Dump Creek if that would help...lol They laughed but said she told them it was on her property.

Property or not, it runs into LBJ. I just dont understand it. =/

Is it a true creek bed or what some call a wash out?. Also if you look at the Countys regs I believe they have a statute for illegal dumping..Also if what shes dumping has hazardous waste in it she could be in serious trouble.