The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Schools

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Sabrered

TAKS Rating of Unacceptable

With the MFHS rating of Unacceptable, perhaps it's now time for the School Board and administrators to perform due diligence and weed out the homesteaders and hanger ons. An "unacceptable" rating is a black mark against the District and taints the quality of it's graduates. As the saying goes, "Those that can, DO; Those that can't, TEACH."
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
JakRussll
Seasoned Member

Wow. I'm stunned. I had no idea.

Here are the ratings for any school/ISD/County in Texas. Just released today.

http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre...011/index.html
JakRussll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Sabrered

The MFISD is heavily weighed with administrative costs with assistant superintendents and assistant principals in what I perceive as redundant positions. Move these individuals with their advanced degrees out of the Ivory Towers and put them back in the classroom where their credentials can be used for the benefit of the students. They should do no less.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
butchkemper
Seasoned Member

I read an article in today's Austin American Statesman about this issue. The second paragraph stated:
"The news comes as schools and districts across Texas see their ratings slide this year despite making academic gains. Figures released by the Texas Education Agency on Friday show that more than half of all Texas schools that had the highest rating in 2010, exemplary, fell in their ratings, and five times as many schools were deemed academically unacceptable, the lowest rating."
Such radical changes makes the measurement standard suspect. Either the old standard was bad and gave too high a rating or the new standard is bad and gives to low a rating.

Anyway, changing standards makes it difficult to compare current results to previous results.

Butch
butchkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
swpilot

Why aren't anyone of you naming what the problem is here....well there may be many, but one reason why our schools are going the way of turd world is because we have many turd worlders from south of the border who can't speak a lick of English...we put our daughter in Faith Academy 2 years ago...best decision that we have ever made...after they were saying the pledge allegiance in Spanish in colt elementary a few years ago, I said enough is enough!!!!!!!!
swpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Reapp
Super Moderator

If you had ever had to read the statements that some of the high school kids write, you would have no trouble doubting the ratings.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
lmccoy

I heard a spot on NPR where they talked about the new rating. The old standard allowed a school to be rated acceptable if that could be expected to get an acceptable rating sometime in the future. Does that make anyone else go "huh"? The new standard is they are acceptable or not. This is the reason that quite a few schools missed the mark. They also stated that most schools that receive an unacceptable rate will go on the be acceptable the next year. I wonder if we are still teaching kids the things they need to know or if we just try to hit the acceptable mark. I hope they are one in the same but I do have my doubts.
lmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
JC70

Going from a private Pre-School (St. Peter's) to MF Elementary was a shocker for me. One child punched another numerous times in the face and head in class. (Kindergarten...mind you) The same child decided to pee in the bookshelf in class during quiet reading time!!! We had another "one" in our Kindergarten class that was in the Principal's office every day (along with the bookshelf pee-er!)
The behavior problems interrupted the class so much our poor teacher wasn't able to follow her teaching plan as I'm sure she would have chosen, so our well behaved children learned a lot less because of these dim-wits. My main question was, why were these kids allowed to stay in class throughout the year and continue rude and horrible behavior? I guess now the rule is the child has to be "evaluated" maybe he has ADD? Maybe Autistic? B.S. Sad our good kids have to suffer. That's why the ratings have dropped. Teachers are great....a bunch of dummies in class
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
Sabrered

The High Achievers will receive their quality education because they are motivated both internally and by their parents. My concern is that the non achievers instead of arising to a higher level, will pull down the smartest and brightest to their mediocre levels. I wish I had an answer that would appease everyone and offend no one. The truth is, some sacrifices need to be made lest we become a Nation of mediocrity.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
JC70

Amen. Well said, thank you!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC70 View Post
Going from a private Pre-School (St. Peter's) to MF Elementary was a shocker for me. One child punched another numerous times in the face and head in class. (Kindergarten...mind you) The same child decided to pee in the bookshelf in class during quiet reading time!!! We had another "one" in our Kindergarten class that was in the Principal's office every day (along with the bookshelf pee-er!)
The behavior problems interrupted the class so much our poor teacher wasn't able to follow her teaching plan as I'm sure she would have chosen, so our well behaved children learned a lot less because of these dim-wits. My main question was, why were these kids allowed to stay in class throughout the year and continue rude and horrible behavior? I guess now the rule is the child has to be "evaluated" maybe he has ADD? Maybe Autistic? B.S. Sad our good kids have to suffer. That's why the ratings have dropped. Teachers are great....a bunch of dummies in class

Hmmm, so are you suggesting that its the kids with ADD or Autism that are the trouble makers?? I Hope not cause the ones with Autism DONT start the trouble.If/or when they are ever involved in anyway shape or form its because someone elses actions brought out a defense response... Oh sure the schools may want to think an unruly childs may have one of these conditions, but MOST schools are clueless when it comes either of these..Especially Autism.

Also. The Autistic children are HIGHLY intelligent.If the Ratings go up you can bet they helped it go up.

Now as far as the kids in school who are just plain problem makers.The pee,ers and the aggressors need to be taken out of class or school altogether IMO since everyone who wants to learn has a hard time because of these particular kids...
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
JC70

Sorry, in no way did I mean an autistic child or adhd is the root of the problem! I know several kids that are autistic and yes, they are amazingly bright. What I meant was you get the parents that have kids with terrible behavioral problems and rather than discipline the child, they try to say...well he has ADHD or something else along that line. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
lmam88
Seasoned Member

After reading some of these replies all I can say is, WOW.....
lmam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Immune
Seasoned Member

The problem is kids are tought to be drones and not challenged to think in these public schools. Me and my wife have done sit ins and with the still air and kids forced to just copy on paper what the teacher is writing on the board and loaded down with nothing but work sheets, there is just no learning going on. It is hard to sit through.
Yesterday me and my son were talking about George Washington and he was telling me how he was the first president in the United States. I corrected him and said Washington was the first constitutional president but before the constitution there were many presidents before him. I told him to bring that up next time they study it thinking it would make him sound like he had been talking about it at home and showing interest in history. He quickly told me no because if you tell a teacher they are wrong about something, that he would get detention. I didnt really know what to say to that. I was stunned that he would even think that.
That being said, it seems like kids are required to learn what is being tought without question or discussion which in my opinion creates drones who dont think for them self.
It could be over crowding which I am witness to but I think it is partly the teachers aswell.
Immune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
mdarling
Seasoned Member

When I was in elementary school, we were divided into fast learners, middle leaners, and slow learners. You might be slow in one subject but not another, and could go to a class depending on your learning ability. When asked about why all the kids are lumped together in one class, I was told "we can't discriminate". Oh, please. I feel sorry for all the kids--fast learners are being held back and slow learners get completely lost. Everything is taught to the middle. Most kids with ADD or ADHD get completely bored because they are not challenged; and I don't know where that leaves autistic children. My son was ADHD and was totally bored in class to the point of throwing pencils into the acoustical ceiling. The teachers solution was to have him help other children with their in-class work. Two teachers told me in February one year that he should have been in accellerated classes, but it was too late to move him. They didn't know this in the first semester? They should have realized it without six weeks!

Don't get me wrong. I have a great deal of respect for most teachers; they have hard jobs. I certainly wouldn't want to be one these days, and have to deal with the hooligans in these classrooms. Teachers have no right to discipline an unruly student; and they have too many state-mandated requirements loaded on them.
mdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdarling View Post
When I was in elementary school, we were divided into fast learners, middle leaners, and slow learners. You might be slow in one subject but not another, and could go to a class depending on your learning ability. When asked about why all the kids are lumped together in one class, I was told "we can't discriminate". Oh, please. I feel sorry for all the kids--fast learners are being held back and slow learners get completely lost. Everything is taught to the middle. Most kids with ADD or ADHD get completely bored because they are not challenged; and I don't know where that leaves autistic children. My son was ADHD and was totally bored in class to the point of throwing pencils into the acoustical ceiling. The teachers solution was to have him help other children with their in-class work. Two teachers told me in February one year that he should have been in accellerated classes, but it was too late to move him. They didn't know this in the first semester? They should have realized it without six weeks!

Don't get me wrong. I have a great deal of respect for most teachers; they have hard jobs. I certainly wouldn't want to be one these days, and have to deal with the hooligans in these classrooms. Teachers have no right to discipline an unruly student; and they have too many state-mandated requirements loaded on them.

Even Autistic kids can get bored in class and have thier abilitys held down or slowed down by the way classes are structured.Plus they learn differently in many cases. I know one parent who pulled his son out because the school he was in couldnt understand the boy or didnt know enough about autism to properly teach him.This father got him one of those new Ipads and a course from a school called Rethink Autism who has a great course and now the boy is excelling in his learning..If anyone has ever seen the movie" TEMPLE GRANDLIN " they can get a sense of the autistic persons mind..

I know what you mean about hooligans or trouble makers.One kid brought a gun to school year before last.Luckily no one got hurt and I think he got expelled..And last year one kid had been constantly causing trouble.Even tried to choke my child.The school didnt move the child to another class..But we could have moved ours to another class if that would make us or her feel safe..

When I was in school. The shop teacher,Several coaches and both principals had big wood padels.You knew not to cause trouble cause if you did then more then likely you would have been introduced to one of them very quickly.And you didnt want to know the Shop Teachers padel cause it had specailly cut airholes that whistled when it cut though the air.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
WhoIsJohnGalt

Science teacher (and basketball and baseball coach) had the best (most respected) padel.
Football coach did a flying tackle on someone who needed it, middle of the gym one lunch period.
Highschool didn't have many ongoing discipline problems.
Most of us kids appreciated the school environment--back then....

Talked to a teacher, couple of years ago, who moved out of Austin to Lometa--because the community supported the school board in their support of a level of padel-enforced discipline.
WhoIsJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Again I'm going to say that with all the weirdos out there who shoulldn't be around children I cannot understand why any parent would ever support allowing anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, the "right" to beat their child.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #19
JWebb
Seasoned Member

When my daughter was in school in Houston I signed a form at the beginning of each year that stated they were not to paddle my child. I also told them that I wanted to know immediately if she was a discipline problem and I would take care of the paddling at home. Thankfully that never happened. If more parents taught respect in their homes this discussion would be moot. Teachers have an impossible task. They can't teach if a few students are disruptive and they aren't allowed to discipline them. Teachers shouldn't have to be baby sitters.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #20
WhoIsJohnGalt

Hey Peaches, I get your drift. But I think there's a difference between judiciously metered discipline and beating.
btw--the one who was on the receiving end of the flying tackle was a 'second year' senior, signficantly bigger than most and had been beating on another smaller student... there are times...
WhoIsJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
Again I'm going to say that with all the weirdos out there who shoulldn't be around children I cannot understand why any parent would ever support allowing anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, the "right" to beat their child.
Peaches I certainly dont want any one touching my children or beating them..I was merely pointing out how it was when I was younger.And what is going on in the schools at this time. There are kids who cause trouble on occasion or all the time and the teachers hands are tied to do anything other then maybe report what is going on.And if they are lucky the kid who causes problems will get sent home to the parents so they can disipline their own child..
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Hey Peaches, I get your drift. But I think there's a difference between judiciously metered discipline and beating.
btw--the one who was on the receiving end of the flying tackle was a 'second year' senior, signficantly bigger than most and had been beating on another smaller student... there are times...
Did the coach you reference do the right thing by getting the bully to stop? YES. Fights and assaults have to be stopped immediately, and the coach did what he had to do.

When you sign a consent form you may be releasing your child's safety to somebody who doesn't know there's a difference between "discipline and beating."

Presently, the school has the authority to have the police come to the school and arrest the student, which never happened when I was in school. We give everybody in this country "rights" under US and State Law...and in MHO, our students should not be an exception.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
Reapp
Super Moderator

That is one of the problems with today's society, folks don't know the difference between discipline and "beating." This is why we have kids that call the police when they receive a spanking, they are a little surprised when I tell them that I would have spanked them too.
Reapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #24
fairlyoldguy

Its called "defensive teaching", a politically correct term for teachers becoming ineffective babysitters. When a disruptive student can get a teacher suspended by saying that teacher touched him (or her) inappropriately, the disruptive student is in control of the classroom. The teacher is no longer effectively able to teach what they want or need to teach. This is what has become of our educational system in the name of political correctness. We have hampered our teachers to be more concerned with the student's "self esteem" than by actually teaching anything.

The point most made in this blog is the lack of home discipline. What I see over and over again in our town is children having children. THAT does not bode well for home discipline. "Children" do not understand the concept of the importance of a good education, let alone the concept of responsibility of parenthood.

Those that reject education in school, (the disrupters), are the first to blame their life failures on "society" . They will continue to blame others because they can not construct a complete sentence when speaking, or write a coherent letter for a job interview. And there will always be, unfortunately, those liberals that believe them and will give them what we taxpayers work so hard to achieve. Eventually, the downfall of our country will be the continued deterioriation of our basic educational system, until we are ALL the lowest common denominator.
fairlyoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #25
bimbo
Seasoned Member

fairlyoldguy is right on the money. however, the bigger threat is a pervasive culture of permissive parents and educators -- not only the marble falls school district but burnet as well (the high school was also rated unacceptable)...

put simply, things like boozing it up and even dipping are considered an endearing right of passage in our little country towns. . .it crosses all socio-economic levels. a number of our kids as young as 14 take special pride in bragging they're "hung over," "sneaking a dip" or "popping a pill"... and now there are some drugs that don't show up in drug testing (k2, legal synthetic form of pot) starting to make an appearance here ....

even if teens get busted for any of these things, the adults around them will say, "oh well, we did the same thing." .... and teachers ignore the problem because they're teachers not drug counselors ...

--
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." -- The Wizard
bimbo is offline   Reply With Quote