The Highland Lakes of Texas
Email list
endurable-critic
Spurs info Billing Department News Department News Editor Obituaries Advertising Department Discussion Forum

Go Back   The Highland Lakes of Texas » Forums > Highland Lakes Living > Dining & Shopping

Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Feline

Best BBQ

Who has the best BBQ around this area? I haven't had a chance to try any but have alot of family coming into town from Washington and that is all they are talking about. "Getting some good texas BBQ!" I have never been a real big fan but my family loves "Texas style" BBQ and I have no idea where to take them. I want to act like I know something lol. The only BBQ I have had here was at the counter in Walmart next to Mcdonalds.

thanks

Betty
Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

You might try Cooper's in Llano. Speaking from personal experience, it's very good.

Another one that I hear about how good the bbq is, but havent tried personally, is Inman's. That is also in Llano.

I'm sure there are others here who have their own opinions.
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Texan

Locally, Inman's is great BBQ but is limited to brisket and turkey sausage (good stuff) and sides are limited to beans, coleslaw and chips; outstanding sauce though! Pete Mesquite across from Wal-Mart is good BBQ and has more choices on meat and sides. You can't go wrong at Opie's in Spicewood either. For a little more upscale atmosphere, head into Austin to County Line on the Hill (Bee Caves Rd near Barton Creek) or County Line on the Lake at 2222 and 360. The Ironworks on East 4th in Austin as well as Stubs on Red River are both hard to beat for downtown Austin. Coopers in Llano has a reputation for being one of the best in the state but in my opinion is no better than local Marble Falls offerings.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Doublehorn
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline View Post
Who has the best BBQ around this area? I haven't had a chance to try any but have alot of family coming into town from Washington and that is all they are talking about. "Getting some good texas BBQ!"............thanks

Betty
I guess since you got family coming down from Washington, then they'd really enjoy the atmosphere/experience of Cooper's in Llano. There's nothing more Texan than eating at Coopers. It's a bit on the pricey side, but they offer all sorts of different meats - bbq chicken, beef, pork ribs and sausage too.
they offer up sides of frijoles, potato salad and jalapenos, besides the desserts.....

http://www.coopersbbqllano.com/
Doublehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
mrdonkhan

SaltLick in Dripping Springs has the best BBQ and atmosphere in my humble opinon. It is far from here but worth it.
mrdonkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
hillcountrywoman

I think Opie's in Spicewood is the best. Primarily because of the sauce. It's less sweet--most likely a little more vinegary--than most Texas BBQ sauces. Also it's bigger than some of the other places and easier to get in.
hillcountrywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Okay, here is my 2 cents worth. Really close to Marble Falls: Pete's Mesquite. Best this side of Austin is The Feed Store across from the hospital in Burnet. It is excellent and not too far. I agree that Salt Lick in Driftwood is also wonderful and a great experience for out of towners. Our daughter had them cater her wedding.

I know I'll have darts thrown at me for saying this but I don't care for Cooper's or Opie's :-)
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
jeannielee

Coopers - Llano.
jeannielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Texan

Lots of great BBQ listed here! I haven't tried The Feed Store in Burnet... got to put that one on my bucket list. The main thing about Opie's and Cooper's is you select your meat right off of the finishing pit as you enter the establishment. This might seem a little odd if you haven't experienced it before but it is a different experience. After all of this BBQ talk, I will be hitting one of these places this weekend for sure.

Last edited by Texan; 12-15-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Peaches
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebb View Post
Okay, here is my 2 cents worth. Really close to Marble Falls: Pete's Mesquite. Best this side of Austin is The Feed Store across from the hospital in Burnet. It is excellent and not too far. I agree that Salt Lick in Driftwood is also wonderful and a great experience for out of towners. Our daughter had them cater her wedding.

I know I'll have darts thrown at me for saying this but I don't care for Cooper's or Opie's :-)
I don't care for Cooper's or Opie's either. (I love salt, but theirs always tastes too salty for even me.) But, for some reason, Cooper's is a favorite for the "$100 hamburger" chasers -- those who'll fly all over the place just to eat at a popular eatery. THat's the bulk of LLano airport's business...people flying in to eat at Cooper's. I really prefer Inman's or Laird's.
Peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
warm_fuzzies

Spykes in Kingsland. Good "BBQ-y" atmosphere great food and super nice people!
warm_fuzzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
grumpy
Seasoned Member

I never could see anything special about Cooper's other than being overpriced. Any one of at least half a dozen others in the area are just a good.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
whiteorchid
Seasoned Member

Opie's in Spicewood is my 2nd choice to Cooper's or Saltlick, but Opie's is nearest MF. Haven't tried Skype's but I don't care for the "sides" at most Marble Falls bbq joints. I bought carry-out bbq at the Maxican Restaurant in Burnet once and it was darn good. If I had to choose specifically a bbq restaurant in Marble Falls I would end up at Smith's; the meat is pretty good.
whiteorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Nomos
Seasoned Member

Llano: Laird's is the easy and only choice. Cooper's has good ribs but everything else is average at best, except the prices which are "exceptional."
Burnet: Burnet County BBQ (where Maxican USED to be)
Marble Falls: Peete's
Kingsland: Spyke's

Overall best: Peete's, followed by Spyke's
Nomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
SKAYEW

I am kinda new to the area. I have tried most of the Bar-B-Q places around the area in the last few months. MY FAVORITE is Opie's in Spicewood going towards Austin on HWY 71. The sauce was not too spicy or too sweet. My whole family enjoyed it and we all picked different things....then had to try each others food....WE LOVED IT ALL!
SKAYEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #16
Feline

Awesome

Wow , Thanks for all the replies, I went out and tried a few the last couple of days. I like opies. The openness big tables and the food was great so we are going there. I had the pork loin and a few ribs and I have to say I should of started eating BBQ a long time ago! Wow unbelievable flavor and that tator tot cheesy casserole, my god that is to die for. I mixed the spicy corn with the casserole from a suggestion from someone in line. I have not tried coopers or the salt lick yet but the convenience and quality of BBQ I am happy. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
Sabrered

If you go to Cooper's or Opie's, shop with your billfold and not your eyes. Otherwise, you may be hit with the national debt when you go to pay out. There's probably not one person listed here that couldn't do a better job of Bar-B-Queing than either Coopers or Opies.
If I'm going to spend $30 or $40 for a meal, it won't be at a place that I have to serve myself. When I go out to eat, I want to be pampered.
Sabrered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
1960traveler

Depending on how far you willing to drive for briskit - you really need to try Black's BBQ in Lockhart. (I know its a distance - but it is worth it.) Also, be sure to try "moist" briskit (fat is not trimmed prior to smoking for more flavor/tenderness).
1960traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
Immune
Seasoned Member

yeah Blacks is pretty good
Immune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #20
matokeya

If BBQ is done right, you don't need the sauce to cover up the flavor. I don't like BBQ sauce and in my opinion, the only places that cook their meat right is...Inmans in Marble Falls, Rudy's in Austin and Spykes in Kingsland. One of my uncles, before he passed away, cooked all the meat for the Spicewood Homecoming and you never had to put sauce on it because he cooked it right. Since I was a kid, Inmans comes the closest to what my uncle cooked.
matokeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #21
JWebb
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960traveler View Post
Depending on how far you willing to drive for briskit - you really need to try Black's BBQ in Lockhart. (I know its a distance - but it is worth it.) Also, be sure to try "moist" briskit (fat is not trimmed prior to smoking for more flavor/tenderness).
The Feed Store has "moist" brisket which is my favorite. I ask them to trim the fat from it and they are happy to oblige me.
JWebb is offline   Reply With Quote